PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hi everyone,
I am looking at a couple of Dunhill pipes on eBay and although they are gorgeous, they are pricey. I am willing to pay the price but I would like to know of you think it is worth it.

I'm sure there are other brands or pipe makers whose quality mathes Dunhill or surpasses it but I guess I don't know who that might be. Maybe experimentation is the best option? Hopefully you can all give me your opinion as to whether Dunhill pipes are as good as their price claims and if not could you recommend other brands/makers who are just as good and cheaper at the same time.

Thanks!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I am one of few who believe they really are worth the money. I have one, and it is one of the best smokers I have, there is just something different about it. I have a good friend, an older english gentleman, who swears by them. I really think there is something different about them, better, I think so, others may not.
If I had the funds, I would buy a few

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
It's all relevant to what you can afford. If you can afford Dunhills, then buy them. Personally, I can't afford to spend that much on one pipe, but if I could I would

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Dunhills are certainly worth the money. It comes down to your own preference. High grade Charatans, high grade GBD's , high grade Upshalls would be three good brands to look for if you would like to see similar quality pipes in the same price range.

Some great Italian pipes in that price range too. Ser Jacopo, Ardor, Caminetto, Castello, Don Carlos, Rinaldo, Mastro de Paja.

And you could always buy American made pipes with your money too! Rad Davis, Kurt Huhn, Wayne Teipen, Jody Davis, Mark Tinsky all make amazing pipes for the money.

You could pick any name from the list, just find the style that you like the most. All of them make excellent pipes.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I got to smoke a Dunhill and Daidhoff recently sorry to say to me there was no difference in how they smoked compaired to some of the low and mid range pipes I own was it better than a Dr Grabow yeah was it better than a Peterson ARAN? nope. Ive got some basket pipes that ran me between 20 and 50 bucks that smoke just as good.

Thats just my oppinion and I do have different tasts in pipes than most.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
If "you" think you need a Dunhill, then its worth it.
It couldn't be said much better than that. Just like all pipe smokers justify buying more pipes than they need. It's a bug, if you think you need one, you're never going to be able to let that feeling go. if you can afford it, make some form of justification *cough* excuses *cough*to yourself and don't hold back! :wink:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you’re looking for something comparable, many consider Castello to be the Italian equivalent.
I’ve owned several Dunhills over the years and I think they’re excellent pipes. Fit, finish and materials are all top notch. Not to be argumentative, Jaysin, but to claim a Peterson Aran or a $20 to $50 basket pipe is comparable to a Dunhill is quite a claim indeed. The stem work on the average Dunhill alone is enough to differentiate it from a basket pipe or even an Aran.
A few years ago I became more interested in handmade pipes from North America so I started selling and trading most of the Dunhills to make room in the racks and free up some capital. Dunhills do retain quite a bit of their value, so you’ll always find a buyer if/when you decide to sell it. And I agree with Lonestar, for the same amount of money you can get a one of a kind, hand made pipe. But the bottom line is you should smoke the pipe that YOU like.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd love to own a Dunhill as they are certainly part of pipe smoking history. But they are also out of my price range! I do have a Dunhill factory second that, despite the draft hole being off centre, smokes really well. For my budget I do love Northern Briars which is a one man independent British company that make excellent pipes in the £100 - £200 range.
As has been said before, only you can decide if a Dunhill is "worth" the money.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I have always wanted one but never wanted to pay the price. Im happy with the way my lower end pipes smoke and they look good too.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
BigVan like I said thats just my oppinion. I did not see any difference in how they smoked compaired to my Aran or some of my basket pipes. Dont get me wrong they are nice pipes and the fit is amazing I just didnt see a difference in how they smoked.

Jan 8, 2013
Somehow I doubt the original poster is going to see your link. He hasn't posted in 5 years! 8O
And although I doubted, I looked anyway, and see no tobacco pipes at "ECig City."

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
LOL, say, Mr Threadomancer, maybe I'll click that link and get into vaping while I'm there! Thank you so much for answer question! What helper!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
You are buying a name...if it is an older Dunhill like from the 80's an older and the price is good for you, then go ahead and buy it...but todays Dunhill pipes...the newer ones are not worth the $$'s you are paying for it. All you are buying is name recognition...they don't smoke better than an older Comoy or GBD...older because they used better wood aged better and longer and cured better and longer...that is my opinion and that is what you are getting...everyone's opinion.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
The only Donnie I have is my birth year. I’ve never desired to own another. There are many pipes out there that are better value than Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.