PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
SB , Insignificant to the Dunhill Corp. But maybe not to a smaller pipe tobacco only co. Just saying.....

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
SB , Insignificant to the Dunhill Corp. But maybe not to a smaller pipe tobacco only co. Just saying.....
I've always stood by the fact that BAT may own the names and rights, but STG makes the blends. I still figure STG will 'introduce' some surprisingly familiar 'new' mixes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So Dunhill makes an actual product that is widely popular and sold, but can neither sustain the business nor sell it to someone else. However, various math Ph.D.'s get together and draw up an algorithm complex enough that no one can understand but them (if them) and sell vast shares at high prices, betting on nothing against nothing, and voila, derivatives. They're all buying Manhattan, London, and Dubai real estate by the acre. But we get no Dunhill blends. Makes perfect sense to me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The tobaccos are insignificant. The brand name is not. So there is zero chance that the Dunhill name will be lent to a product they no longer want to support. Let's say that the recipes get licensed to another manufacturer. They still won't be available for sale in the US under current FDA regs. Given the growing animus toward smoking it seems highly unlikely that anyone would go out of their way to reintroduce the blends under a different name to a limited marketplace.
As for noting out of nothing, virtual currency has made overnight mega-millionaires out of people who basically do nothing. Makes perfect sense to me too.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Pipe smokers can make a protest by making a small bonfire out of burning Dunhill tobaccos outside their Alfred Dunhill trademark headquarter.
I will definitely join.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jazz,
Anyone know of something like Dark Flake I can get in the UK?
I would recommend you try Samuel Gawith St James Flake and Solani 633. Both are excellent virginia/perique blends. Also if you are into ropes you might want to give Peter Heinrichs Curly Block a whirl. It is not cheap but it is very tasty. It is also similar to Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls especially when you cut the rope into discs.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I would recommend you try Samuel Gawith St James Flake and Solani 633. Both are excellent virginia/perique blends. Also if you are into ropes you might want to give Peter Heinrichs Curly Block a whirl. It is not cheap but it is very tasty. It is also similar to Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls especially when you cut the rope into discs.
Cheers Harris, I appreciate the suggestion but I smoke St James and 633 regularly these days and neither taste anything like Dark Flake to me. I shall keep an eye out for Curly Block but I never see any Heinrichs stuff in the UK either. It's probably not too much of a chore to order from Germany though. Actually, that may not be a bad idea. I'm sure there are a few blends that are easily found there that could fit in the same shipping box.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jazz, I have not smoked it yet but I have read some really good reviews of Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs which is a virgina/perique plug. If you are ordering from Germany, that might be available. I have it in my cart at smokingpipes and will be ordering it in the next day or so.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
jazz, I have not smoked it yet but I have read some really good reviews of Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs which is a virgina/perique plug. If you are ordering from Germany, that might be available. I have it in my cart at smokingpipes and will be ordering it in the next day or so.
Good shout. It sounds right up my street when I looked it up.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
In the event that the Dunhill recipes are picked up by another blender I want to be the first to claim that the latest incarnation isn’t as good as the previous one and doesn’t hold a candle to the original version.
Sad to see a name synonymous with pipes run like a bat out of hell away from pipes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's been clear for years that Dunhill does not care about Pipes, Pipe Tobacco and/or Cigars, and has been trying to distance themselves more and more from these products in recent years. I believe it was this forum where I read an article where Dunhill has different sales divisions, and the person that was put in charge of the "Smoking" division covering pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars was openly anti-smoking and didn't want Dunhill to be associated with smoking at all. Even though that's what the company was founded on. I believe the division President said something to the effect that Dunhill pipes shouldn't be smoked but put on display as a piece of art.
Who in their right mind puts a guy in charge of a sales division that is so opposed to that divisions main focus and product line. Dumbest promotion company decision I've ever heard of.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
To my taste, Wessex (Brigade) Campain Dark Flake is very similar to the taste profile of Dunhill Dark Flake
Can't get that here either. Pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer in the UK and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't disheartening.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I believe it was this forum where I read an article where Dunhill has different sales divisions, and the person that was put in charge of the "Smoking" division covering pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars was openly anti-smoking and didn't want Dunhill to be associated with smoking at all
Sounds similar to that CDC head who was investing in tobacco stocks while tasked with reducing smoking.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Jazz:What about the Original Flake by Mc Baren, formerly known as Walnut Flake by Ogden's of Liverpool, great stuff.
Ahh, now that's one we can get here and I have never tried.
My fear is that Dark Flake is unique and there is not anything else quite like it. I'm hoping we end up with these blends but with completely different names or even something like what happened with the Peterson blends when Rattray's produced tobaccos that were oddly close to certain Peterson's.
I won't be holding my breath though.

Status
Not open for further replies.