PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello all,

Happy Pipe Smoking Day!

I have a question for those of you who are knowledgeable on Dunhill nomenclature.

The pipe in question is a nice straight grain billiard from 1961.

It is stamped:
A DR

III DUNHILL

ROOT BRIAR
It is a group 3 pipe.
Could you please explain "A DR" and "III"?

The only Dunhill pipe I have is a 1961 Tanshell group 4. That pipe is a perfect size for me. How different will a group 3 be?

I don't know much about Dunhill pipes, but the one I have is a great smoking pipe.

I really appreciate your help on explaining what these stamping mean.
Thank you!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
See here to get you started,
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/dunhill2.html

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A = Bruyere Finish

DR = Dead Root
I'd have to see the actual "lll" stamping to be sure of what it represents. Dunhill had special markings for grades and fractional grades, which this might represent, or it might be something else entirely.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, guys. Thank you for that link.

The info there states a 1961 would have a third letter following the DR to denote grade of the briar or grain I guess. This pipe only has the DR, but it is preceded by an A and then a space, which makes sense for the Bruyere finish.

I wonder what III is? Do you suppose this was a grading that pre-dared the stars?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
The other possibily is it is a DRA. They had DRB and DRC as well, with the A B or C denoting some kind of grade. Is the A next to the DR or next to the Size code, should be 3 in a circle if it's a '61.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Would I be wrong to assume that all briar is considered root briar or is there some language that further breaks up different parts? And what would a dead root be--- it died in the ground? What would be a quality/advantage to a dead root?

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Sam, what's weird on this one is that the A comes before the DR, so it's not the three letter DRA grouping, it's A then a space then DR. As sable mentioned the A probably refers to finish (although the stain is more brown than red), but it seems strange for it not to have the third letter after the DR for grading, as you point out, which jibes with what I am seeing on the reference sites. The III makes sense for it being a grade 3 straight billiard, and the 3 is in a circle on the other side of the shank. I will try to post some pictures.

Thank you all very much for your insights and help.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I think the DR letter grades weren't always stamped, some are just DRs. Not sure if that is dependent on a certain era or just inconsistent with DRs in general. I know the newer system is the star rating.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dead root? Doesn't that happen in your 80's or 90's?? And, fortunately, but the time my briars reach me, the wood is dead.
:crazy: :)

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hey guys,

just an update on what I have learned for anyone who might find it useful or interesting.

I was confused by the A being set apart and before the DR, and believed it could be the A referring to the Bruyere finish.

The pipe is a root finish, stamped with the R on the right side of shank and the DR and ROOT BRIAR on the left side of the shank. So the A could not refer to a Bruyere finish on a root finish pipe

Apparently, the grade letters (later replaced by asterisks / stars) , in this case grade A, do not always follow DR or appear as a three letter group such as DRA. The DR is a stamp placed, and then later the grade stamp is placed, sometimes in different places.

Wow.....talk about OCD minutia!

Glad that's cleared up!
Thank you all for your help.

Cheers

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hmm. Tanks guys. Is there a website or something somewhere I can look at on what all this obscure Dunhill nomenclature means? Maybe Dunhill themselves published one?

Status
Not open for further replies.