PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like Nightcap, but I feel your pain. Try being one of of the no-taste-bud-having mongoloid heretic lepers who don't like Escudo!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Nightcap, but I hardly think that's mandatory. Tobacco blends come in such a vast variety, there's something for anyone who cares to smoke a pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Far as I know, neither Kevin nor the mods have mandated that all must like "Nightcap" or, for that matter "Escudo." The good Lord knows that this is a rugged band of individualists which hang around the forum. Consensus is very rarely achieved on any subject, let alone a blend.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I wasn't worried about what others thought concerning the fact I don't like it. Hell, I have always been the odd man out when it came to things like that. I was just curious what the appeal was.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't think it's a matter of mystique. You can buy it anywhere and it's available in bulk. I think it's popular because many people like it. It's not my thing, but I can appreciate why it is for some.
That's one of the hard lesson's of pipe smoking for me. Tastes vary so wildly in this realm

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!! Stop just a minute there!!!
Did someone just say they didn't like Escudo?
(P.S. - I have about 10 tins of Nightcap on hand. Some days I love it. Other days my taste buds just say no.)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, jmatt, that was me. The good news is I have several tins ageing in the cellar for all the Escudo fans who may want to trade during a drought. You know those happen from time to time. sjmiller, I'm sure Warren wasn't attacking you or anything. Almost anything on this forum is said with no malice intended. Sometimes I think if there was ever truly a Devil's advocate, Warren is on retainer!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I liked the taste when I tried it and then I spent the night unable to move my head at all. I'm such a nic wimp. I have the same problem with Haddo's Delight. I can't take more than a puff or two before the effects hit. I have to be careful with Escudo too but I can get away with a couple of coins worth more often than not. I've been smoking three bowls a day for a couple of years and my tolerance has not changed over that time. Great tastes, all, but not worth the effects.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nightcap delivers a stiff dose of Latakia and a definite spike of Perique, and at least traditionally, a pretty good kick of nicotine. For those of us who sat down with a big bowl pipe and had a good long smoke just after we cracked our first tin, it was a definite experience, and I'm glad I did it more or less just before retiring for the night. But after a few days when it aired out a little (tin closed but breathing), it turned into quite a gentleman. My only objection is, because it is full strength, it can upstage other blends in the rotation, but sometimes that's just what I want. For a more moderate experience without the Perique, but plenty of flavor, Dunhill My Mixture 965 is a robust flavorful blend. True or false, Nightcap and 965 provide a paradigm of the English blend as I know it. They're not my top pick, but close.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, it stinks, literally. Dunghill Nightcrap.
But, it smokes pretty good. Not in my top group of blends but I keep some around and smoke a bowl every couple of weeks.

It took me some getting used to before I developed a fondness for the Nightcap. I like the combined stregnth and flavor. The smokey latakias mixing well with the orientals, and then PERIQUE thrown in there to tang it up a notch. It is a flavorful zippy tobacco, but also a good dose of Vitamin N thrown it to boot.
I like a good strong tobacco before bed. It helps me sleep, and has made it so that it has been three years since I have had a bout of insomnia that used to plague me. A good strong tobacco that sets my head to spinning really makes it easy to just drift off at night. I like Nightcap with a bit of chocolate to keep my blood sugars up when the nicotine overdose hits. This is it's charm to me. I like a few other latakia blends, but this one is the best for me before bed. 90% of the time, I prefer Virginias, but Nightcap was one of the first that sold me on latakia.
There are a few other strong blends that I enjoy also, some even stronger than Nightcap. But, this is a classic in which I always keep a few tins tucked away.

May 4, 2015
I'm on a decided latakia and perique tear, especially in the evenings. If you don't like Nightcap, but possess Nightcap, I will gladly take it off your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.