PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I would like to hear some thoughts on the comparison of these two blends. I Was planning on Nightcap being more stout than 965 but I found it to be a little smoother. Not sure if that's what others have found or not.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nightcap is just a wee bit too strong for my taste, my preference is MM965. Of course I found EMP too light, so I just mixed the two which worked out to be a very nice blend and quite similar to 965.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Nightcap really sent my head to spinning and I have a high nicotine tolerance. The wife ran me out of the house to the patio, but not so much with 965. I think 965 is a much smoother smoke and it doesn't tear my throat up like Nightcap. I finished the tin of Nightcap just to give it a fair chance, but I never bought it again. Looks like I won't have to be concerned about either blend much longer. I have a tin of 965 that my son bought me 4 yrs ago and I won't open it until all my bulk 965 is gone and maybe not even then. I have my 50th wedding anniversary coming up in 2 yrs so I may open it then.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nightcap is a very full and strong blend -lots of flavor,lots of nicotine. It's got too much perique and too much nic for my tastes. I don't smoke it at all.

MM965 has, IIRC, less latakia, no perique, and that sweetened cavendish thing. Personally, I do not care for that combination - so I don't smoke it, either.

I'll go for Standard Medium when I want a good hit of lat and not much on the orientals. If I want more orientals, it's MM1938, which I find much more interesting than London.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Man, I don't know what it is that I found easier about nightcap, not thinking about the nicotine side just the taste seemed like it was not as spicy. Well, looks like I'll just have to smoke some more to make sure.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I love both of them. Both are full flavored, but I am more partial to 965, because I like the sweetness that the cavendish adds.
To me 965 has more sweetness, and nightcap has more smokey latakia.
I buy both by the pound.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
NIghtcap is NOT for the faint of heart. I still get a good hit from it even after having a big meal. 965 is less so from my experience...

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Do aging effect these two any?
You may like them aged if you find the Latakia too strong. It should mellow with age and the Virginias should get sweeter. Neither has an added flavouring, so you're good there. Could be interesting.
I just nursed a bowl of Nightcap and watched the rain! I love how the Latakia is almost crushing at first and then it fades later in the smoke- making room to enjoy the Turkish and Perique as the bowl finishes. I have a tin of 965, but I have too many English tins open to smoke it yet.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
965 is a favorite. It adds the Cavendish sweetness to an English blend, resulting in a sweet-n-sour flavor that is both stimulating and relaxing.
Nightcap (try Engine 99 as well) is another favorite. This is more of a heavy English blend with added Perique that puts some fire behind the Latakia.
For whatever it is worth, I reach for 965 more frequently. I miss the heavy nicotine blast of Nightcap (sometimes referred to as "knockout") but the balance of flavors in 965 is perfect, especially for cold or rainy days when lunting.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Finally someone else who's crazy besides me. Not that it means anything but I noticed after this discussion that smokingpipes.com has nightcap taste (not strength) as strong and 965 as very strong

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Smoked a bowl of nightcap last night on the porch sitting in a rocking chair, almost fell asleep. I think it put me in a trance

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like 965 for it's vitality and interest, always an invigorating smoke. Nightcap is somewhat stronger, and depending on the batch, can be a nicotine challenge if you go at it too vigorously. But once you get its measure, it's just a good full-strength smoke. There are some matches available if/when these go away, but I've found the brand name items dependable and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.