PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
I am almost done with a tin of Dunhill London. I really enjoyed this stuff. I dont see much on this forum about it. Any thoughts? Am I the only guy that thinks this is a great smoke?

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
I just included a tin of this in my order today. It will be my first tin of Dunhill. It has been recommended by another pipe smoker. Also in my order is Germain's Special Latakia and an array of Pease Latakias that I have been wanting for some time.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
To me, this blend did not benefit from the changes Orlik made to it. I enjoy the Murray's issue immensely, but cannot smoke this current incarnation. Fortunately, Steve Books blends London Mixture, which I've smoked and found it to be the same taste as the Murray's issue, without the benefits of age.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked a tin or so a few years back. It's just a *meh* blend for me. I really liked Dunhill latakia based blends when I picked up the pipe again, but then found others I like much better. Haven't smoked one in years.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Used to be a staple in my rotation. Haven't tried the latest version...I'm a little scared to try it because I loved the Murray's version.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Ohin3, the Orlik version is quite great and measures up well with the Murray's. The Orlik just needs a bit of age on it. The remaining Murray's tins are pretty old now so they're at their prime smoking state, IMO. If you got 'em smoke 'em! London is probably my favorite of the Dunhill line but my stock is empty for now. Trying to get through some other open tins before I reload. Classic English style 'baccy all the way, mate.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Any other thoughts on this? I've been really interested in this ol' classic seeming mixture. I have a tin of this but didn't plan on trying it till i try Nightcap, but lately I've been thinking of cracking open the tin before Nightcap instead.
How does this tobacco rank among you guys?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't tried the Orlik version yet, but I loved the last tin of the Murray's version that I had. It didn't hurt that that tin had 20 years of age on it! But I thought it was a terrific smoke.
Most of you probably know this, but Westminster was Greg Pease's blend to recreate the original Dunhill version of London Mixture. That version must have been significantly different from even the Murray version, because Westminster bore little resemblance to the tin of London Mixture I smoked. But both are excellent, excellent blends.
Bob

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
When I need a change from my Virginia blends I always reach for my Dunhill's London Mixture since I like its combination of latakia, orientals and Virginia and it nutty, a little sweet and rich English room note.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I like the London Mixture, and have a tin of the Orlik version on hand now. I've been enjoying a pipeful of it once or twice a week. Flavorful, but a bit less intense than Nightcap.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Phoenix:
Unless the manufacturer tells us -- or someone has an incredibly refined palate (calling Mr. Pease!) -- this is nearly impossible to answer. Very very few manufacturers go into detail about their oriental mixtures. Of course, there's latakia! But that's the only oriental-derived leaf I can identify absolutely in this blend. Everything else is pure guesswork based on my own experience and palate.
It's actually easier for me to tell you what is NOT in the blend, based on my own smoking. I would say there is no Basma in the London Mixture; Basma tends to be lightly rich and quite sweet; I noticed nothing like this in my sample of LM. I would also GUESS that there is little or no Drama in the blend; in my experience this can be a sharp and acrid leaf, and I don't recall a strong presence of that in the blend. But I could be wrong about Drama here; my tin had some age on it. . . plus, I'm basing all of this on my memory and my notes from when I last smoked it. (And it may play a different sort of role in a blend when pared with LM's specific Virginias and latakia, as opposed to the original blend on which I'm basing my perception of Drama. Are we having fun yet?)
But Yenidje, Samsun, Smyrna, Sokhoum, Katerini. . . They may all play a role, or it may be only one or two of them.
Bob

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I just smoked a bowl of it last night. I've said it before and I'll say it again-you can't go wrong with Dunhill blends. They may not have that initial wow factor, but the more you smoke them you realize they are solid, well balanced blends. I love variety (I have 45 open tins right now) but if you told me I could only smoke Dunhill the rest of my life I would be OK with that.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
This is one I've not tried yet....yet! I've had 4 Dunhill blends, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, MM 965 and Deluxe Navy Rolls. The Navy Rolls and Nightcap are by far my favorites, with MM 965 following close behind. The EMP I didn't care for that much. I may have to give this one a shot though, as 3 out of 4 ain't a bad average!

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I just finished my tin of LM last night. I have been trying to finish some of the tins i've opened before ordering any more. That being said I wish I had some more of this stuff now. I love the immediate tin note that reminds me of Kansas City BBQ.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Zombie thread!! 8O
That being said, London Mixture is tied for one of my favorite blends of all time. Simply fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.