PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Hi
I am thinking of buying an unsmoked dunhill from a classified ad. The photo is quite blurry so I cannot really see what model it is and therefore know if its worth the money. So if any of you guys could help me to figure out what model this is that would be of great help
Thanks
dunhill.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Like Ted said, you need the markings from the pipe to identify the year, make, etc. That photo is no good. Try to get the seller to tell you all of the info that is stamped on the pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm with Ted and Bob.

I would also ask the seller to provide some better photographs.

One of the warnings I have heard (more than once) is; bad photography is a "red flag".

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I met the seller today in person and after examining the pipe ( rather amateur examination ) I bought it. It seems unsmoked and clean inside the bowl, and has a metal stinger. Took a new photo with hopefully better quality. I paid $136 for it, hope it wasnt too much, however I´m really happy to finally own a Dunhill
dunhill2-600x487.jpg

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Actually sounds like you got the pipe for a really good price. I'm very curious about the year. The pipe sock reminds me of those made in the 1980s.
On the pipe it should say something like 'Made in England' with a very small number behind it. What's that number? Is it underlined or not?

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
On one side it says "Dunhill Root Briar 142", and on the other side "Made in England 4R where 4 is inside a circle, and 14 in small text on top not underlined. I found this one that comes close
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=63597

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Based off of that information it looks to me like you have a

1974 group 4 Dunhill Root Briar 142.
$136.00 is a great price for it, especially if it has never been smoked! Great pick up!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
As most have said already, that is an absolute steal. Even if the pipe had been smoked and was in a reasonable condition, it'd be worth more than what you paid. Brand new, it is worth at least what Ted said ... plus some.

Welldone, you got a fantastic bargain there. I have yet to find a Dunhill that doesn't smoke well. The old addage "you get what you pay for" definitely holds true for Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.