PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
his is quite an interesting tobacco. And despite being labelled as "Straight" virginia, it isn't so straight at all. The reason for this is it applies the concept of appearances vs reality. When you open the tin, it's like sunshine in the plains. Sunny, bright virginia thin flakes with a beautiful high note of grass, hay and citrus. My tin came at perfect and I repeat perfect moisture content. That was enough to tempt me to just fold and stuff it. And again I was welcomed with a high note of citrus, following a really easy lighting process. It remained consistent, stayed lit save for a relight or two in a very large bowl and when finished it needed one knock to clean the bowl leaving a tiny ball of white ash in the tray. And that's when the appearances end and reality start. With the second and third bowls, I rubbed it out, and was that a different experience. The high pitched grass notes disappeared completely and instead it was a middle of the road earthy, rich and bready flake. I enjoy those more, so I had to re-evaluate the blend in that light. And again it delivered. Alas, it was milder than my taste but other than that, perfect virginia blend. It is a smooth, light all day smoke. And doing my research I learnt it was originally called light flake and I think that name suits it better. I am not sure I will buy more of it, but if this is the light flake, I am certainly a fan of dark flake even before I try it
Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe Royal Danish Brandy billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Great review.......this is exactly why I have a bunch of it in my celler. I cube cut a tin at a time and churn right through it. Wonderful stuff!!!
Dark Flake is very good.....more stewed fruit.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@Pagan.. Thanks.. Yeah, I got lost at citrus as well.. Luckily I rubbed it out and it went away

@ashdigger Thanks, I guess cubing or rubbing it is excellent. And actually I can't wait to try Dark Flake

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My tin came at perfect and I repeat perfect moisture content
All Dunhill blends come at the perfect moisture level balancing maximum smokability with maximum taste. That's what makes Dunhill a premium blender, and why their blends are worth paying more for. Some people think they know better than a blender whose been in the biz for over a century, and feel like they need to dry it. That's fine, unless they complain about what's lacking in the blend, when in fact it's because they took it upon themselves to "improve" upon Dunhill's knowledge.
That said, I went through 10 tins of Flake, and no matter how slowly I sipped and how much imagination I used, it tasted bland and boring and one-note to me. I stick with DNR.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@shutterbugg I agree on most of that.. Have you tried rubbing it out? that worked for me

@paulie66scandinavian Thanks, Paulie.. And I haven't tried golden sliced..So I can't compare

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I love Dunhill Flake - I've been smoking it for years, finally smoked the last tin of the old Murray's version last year.

I've had one tin of the Orlik. IMO, the Dunhill blows it away. The Dunhill has no perique at all - it's closer to something like Astley's 109 - but better.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
My tin just arrived from smokingpipes and I guess they have updated their packaging. It no longer is in the square tins. I was surprised to see a round tin with a screw lid once I opened the box. I figure it might be better for cellaring...

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Yes. I like the round ones better. They are good for cellaring and for keeping in the tin while smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.