PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I smoke more of it everyday than anything else & love it.

The only thing I don't like that much is $12.50 ?? a tin.

Is there anything that mirrors it that is more affordable?

Maybe something in bulk?

TIA.

It really depends on what you like about Dunhill Flake. Some that fall in love with it seem to never find a replacement. However, if you are just wanting a straight Virginia Flake, there are tons out there that are offered in bulk.

But, 12.50 is not a bad price, especially considering that I pick this one up occasionally at my B&M for a tad over $20. Expensive is such a relative term, considering that online vendors are also the wholesalers. Compared to cigars, even $20 a tin is cheap as hell.

However, if you want to backstock this flake, you'd better start cellaring it deeply, because it is going away for good, and the clock is ticking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a matter of tactics at this point, I don't necessarily look for matches to the blends I like, that might go away. I think it is more a matter of trying out blends in the same genre that you might like as well, or might come to like as well. You can't know unless you try around. Buy in smallest available quantities and see what you like, would be my approach... is my approach. Just be sure you are looking at blends originating before (or by?) 2007, so you won't be selecting blends that will all disappear. Being a manic optimist, I'm still half supposing that the bureaucracy will abandon policing the pipe tobacco market because it is too small and not cost effective to regulate. As they used to say in the Navy, dream on, sailor boy.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It's a good solid VA flake but comes across a plain/mild to me. I like it ok, but Wessex Gold flake is much better. Give the Wessex flake a try sometime.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Wessex Gold is available all over the place (in tins). Wessex Red is the hard to get flake (and better then Gold).
Gold comes in bulk (bricks) and you can slice your own flakes. 100g for about $16. Bricks are harder to find though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are flakes similar to Dunhill Flake but they are all either hard to get or more money. Capstan Blue flake is one and it is always available mostly due to its cost. I prefer the Capstan to the Dunhill, but not by much. I cellar both and enjoy each for their own unique flavors.
If you figure the cost per gram for the Dunhill, you are looking at .25 cents per and a 4 gram bowl is 1.00. How many bowls a day are you smoking? Say you find a bulk blend that is half the cost of the Dunhill and you save .50 cents a bowl. Is that .50 cents going to alter your life style in anyway? For .50 cents wouldn't you rather smoke something you love than something that is just ok?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like Dunhill Flake but there are a lot of good Virginia flake. If you're looking for cheap, the Sutliff and Newminster VA Flakes in bulk are good and a great value. I think the F & T Cut Virginia Plug is the closest equivalent to Dunhill but a bit fuller bodied and sweeter. Also hard to get but I was able to grab 10 tins from 4 Noggins a few weeks ago. I found Wessex Gold and Red a week ago. You just have to search.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I smoke about 4 bowls of Dunhill flake a day & the other 5 ?? something else.

Thanks for suggestions!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

A bulk flake comparative to Dunhill Flake doesn't exist. I did find out this week that Mac Baren Virginia Flake is available in bulk. It's not real comparative to Dunhill Flake, but it's a light, mild, and somewhat citrusy blend.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Peterson Signature Flake is... pretty close, similar anyhow.
I have been told to try the 507-c flake from sutliff, which is a bulk. I can't offically recommend it cuz I have not tried it... might be worth exploring.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
If you are into cellaring, I would recommend buying pounds of bulk flakes to try when your beloved Dunhill Flake is no longer available and your supply runs out. I think all bulk virginia flakes benefit from a couple years in the jar. Dunhill Flake has much more depth and richness than any fresh bulk flake I have tried but that is what aging can add.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I think the F & T Cut Virginia Plug is the closest equivalent to Dunhill but a bit fuller bodied and sweeter.
This. I also like Aylesbury Luxury Flake better. Same idea, more flavor. Dunhill flake tastes too much like nothing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.