PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was reading some well-informed opinions posted here a while ago about how Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture is an inferior substitute for the original, or at least the most recent last version of the original from Murray's. I remembered it fondly, and dug out a tin, just to see for myself how true the rumors are.
Since I am inordinately fond of a similar tobacco, Peterson Irish Oak, I pulled some from a handy container to see how it stacked up. The answer is interesting: Elizabethan Mixture is sweeter and thinner in flavor, while Irish Oak has a reedy, vinegar taste but more body.
I will not speak ill of Elizabethan Mixture because I think, like many Dunhill tobaccos, it is designed for the non-fanatical smoker. It is put together so that it will be easy to smoke, inoffensive and offer a distinct flavor profile. Of all the tobaccos, the Dunhills strike me as perfect recommendations for new pipers, especially those "movin' on up" from Aros.
However... I can see how this blend once may have had more intense flavor and body of smoke. Everything about it is a bit thin. The Virginias are not cloyingly sweet like those in OGS, but they are sweet like Cavendish or whisky with a little maple syrup in it. The perique plays a second fiddle, fleshing out that flavor more than contrasting it. It has moderate Nicotine, but smokes easily in gentle sips. I admit this may be a fallen angel of the original, but I still thoroughly enjoy this.
On the other hand, Irish Oak has been more of a go-to all-day smoke for me, and I can see why. It is a shade or two over medium Nicotine, and has a full flavor despite its somewhat acidic turn. As a bowl matures, it hits the middle notes of Cavendish and Burley, which give it a darker and richer taste. It would be hard to get bored of this, and I can see where it is a more intense take on the middle notes of the Virginias too.
I can't claim I ended up knocking either out of rotation. I'd still go hog wild for a tin of either of these. But, I hope someday Dunhill considers making its mixture a bit more intense, like the Irish Oak, for the sake of all of us all-day pipers who like a full bodied smoke.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think JimInks rated it higher than the current Dunhill product. I've got to get my hands on some, obviously, so next SPC order will have it...

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Elizabethan Mixture has been one of my favorites during my first year of smoking. I agree with deathmetal that it is a great smoke for beginners because the Dunhill ribbon is almost idiot proof for packing and smoking. However lately I've been smoking more Warhorse; in it I find notes of Elizabethan but the nutty burley helps create for me a more substantial smoke, more complex and interesting to my tongue.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Similar in components, certainly. But what makes Elizabethan Mixture stand out for me is the processing of the Virginias and the final form of the leaf.
That being said, I'd check out Former Straight Grain Flake and Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. If you are a frugal sort, you can buy Perique (get the long-cut version and pulse it in a blender) and Bright Virginia and mix it 10-90 for a reasonable analogue.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have said Irish Oak is what Elizabethan Mixture wants to be when it grows up.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Just based on Tobacco Reviews, I can't see buying either one, but this is a personal deal so it matters not what the consensus is.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Irish Oak is a bit of an acquired taste... but after I went through my first tin, I missed it terribly. Same happens with all the great blends I discover. You don't know how good you've got it until it's gone (insert other cliches here as appropriate!).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Elizabethan has a strange topping that ghosts the pipe. Out of the tin for a few months, the topping disappears. I use it as a ghost buster now, C&D Three Friars is a better vaperIMHO.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Someday, Dunhill will make a Lakeland.
I walked by a house today where someone was doing laundry with some kind of horrid soap. It smelled just like a Lakeland.
I gagged and fled.

Status
Not open for further replies.