Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This is quite an acclaimed blend and I tend to approach these ones with high caution as not to be predisposed. And so I opened the tin not knowing exactly what to expect rather than the tin description, and I was welcomed with a sharp note of citrus and grass complemented by the bright look of Golden virginia. Which is predominant in aroma and looks. The blend is cut to perfection - even more than the usual excellent Dunhill cut - and came at perfect moisture. I loaded the bowl which was a breeze and lit it up. It came out interesting, as I couldn't get much of that citrus taste whatsoever, it was richer and darker, but no light virginia or perique. And gradually towards the first third of the bowl the perique rises up to be the star of the show. Peppery, strong and nice, and this comes from someone who's not fond of perique. It remains so consistently till the very near end of the bowl. Dark and rich with a hint of pepper and zesty aroma. then just as I got to the end of the bowl, all this gets muted and the sharp, grassy virginia taste takes over. It is as if I am smoking a straight virginia. I tried 4 different pipes with it and got the same results, so I concluded that this is how it is. It won't make my favourite list for two reasons. One personal and one mechanical. The personal one is, I am fond of dark, rich virginia rather than bright ones, so that last part of the bowl becomes a tad annoying, and the mechanical part is that there is no complement of taste in that last part as well. It is as if the perique has disappeared from the blend. I compared this to one of my favourite VaPers which is Davidoff Flake medallions and I still prefer the medallions as it is more consistent and has aged virginia. But if you're unlike me, and you prefer sharp virginia, then definitely this is a top notch blend with the excellent mechanics of Dunhill tobacco.
Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe Royal Danish Brandy billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
The sharpness is muted with a few years of age on it and the taste is more consistent through out the bowl. I agree that Davidoff Medallions are very tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, somehow this thread got posted twice. I think the other copy has a longer string of follow-up posts.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is one more balanced VaPers I've smoked. It does improve wonderfully with a few years of age.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
When I first tried this blend, I wasn't a fan. it was an ok smoke, but there are so many better blends available. I put it away for a few months and the difference is noticeable. I find a greater sweet and citrusy element that I didn't notice before. I'm enjoying it at the moment in a meer. Like others have said, I believe that after a year or so, this will be a very enjoyable blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.