PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This is quite an acclaimed blend and I tend to approach these ones with high caution as not to be predisposed. And so I opened the tin not knowing exactly what to expect rather than the tin description, and I was welcomed with a sharp note of citrus and grass complemented by the bright look of Golden virginia. Which is predominant in aroma and looks. The blend is cut to perfection - even more than the usual excellent Dunhill cut - and came at perfect moisture. I loaded the bowl which was a breeze and lit it up. It came out interesting, as I couldn't get much of that citrus taste whatsoever, it was richer and darker, but no light virginia or perique. And gradually towards the first third of the bowl the perique rises up to be the star of the show. Peppery, strong and nice, and this comes from someone who's not fond of perique. It remains so consistently till the very near end of the bowl. Dark and rich with a hint of pepper and zesty aroma. then just as I got to the end of the bowl, all this gets muted and the sharp, grassy virginia taste takes over. It is as if I am smoking a straight virginia. I tried 4 different pipes with it and got the same results, so I concluded that this is how it is. It won't make my favourite list for two reasons. One personal and one mechanical. The personal one is, I am fond of dark, rich virginia rather than bright ones, so that last part of the bowl becomes a tad annoying, and the mechanical part is that there is no complement of taste in that last part as well. It is as if the perique has disappeared from the blend. I compared this to one of my favourite VaPers which is Davidoff Flake medallions and I still prefer the medallions as it is more consistent and has aged virginia. But if you're unlike me, and you prefer sharp virginia, then definitely this is a top notch blend with the excellent mechanics of Dunhill tobacco.
Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe Royal Danish Brandy billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Aug 14, 2012
You didn't mention that there is some sort of flavor added to this blend which dominates it. I liked it at first, then began to dislike it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had a sealed tin for a long time, perhaps thinking the Virginias could only improve. 'foggy's post does not entice me to it. Thank you for the review, Ahmad.

Oct 7, 2016
I smoked one tin and was disappointed. It never was a "perique forward" blend, so I was not expecting that. The Virginia's tasted, to me, like cigarette tobacco - good cigarette tobacco, say a Nat Sherman, but cigarette tobacco nonetheless. Astringent is a polite word. Acrid is more honest. I still have three tins. My executor will have to deal with them

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks, All..
I like it okay, but nothing special and I have my better VaPers
@paulie I hear all praise of Ye Old Signe and I think I will try it as soon as possible
@mso you're always welcome. And it's not bad at all, but If you have a favourite VaPer, I wouldn't put much hope on this one

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@pagan.. Well, not a fan of perique as well.. But, If I am picking a VaPer it's definitely Davidoff Flake Medallions

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Herr Ahmad , allow me to bring to your/and other gentlemen here,too)attention a new offering from Amphora series Its called Amphora Virginia, and so far has gotten some positive reviews on it> referring to tobaccoreviews page,

As when it comes to light perique mixtures I still might prefer Rattrays Old Gowrie over The Dunhill Elizabethan,,?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've smoked a tin of this and wasn't impressed. It wasn't a bad blend persau but I won't be stocking up either. I found it to be a bit one dementional, and I tend to really like my perique so it's a looser there for me too. I agree with Oldgeezer that it is rather cigarette like in taste, a very nice one but a cigarette any way you cut it.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@shutterbugg never had DNR, but since it's like escudo and probably Flake medallions and I hear it's superior to them, they yes DNR will be better

@paulie Yes, I hope I can try it soon.. I like the full aroma already so I am sure Amphora VA will be good

@texmexpipe I was never a cigarette smoker, so I dunno.. But a lot of VaPers are given that description.. And yes, it's decent but nothing special

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm with Texmex, EM is an ok smoke (smoking it right now) but there is nothing exceptional about it. I reckon more Perique would make it more interesting.
For the true VaPer fan there are many much better blends to choose from IMHO.
Regards,
Jay.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I purchased and finished a tin of EM about a year ago. The only memorable part of this tobacco was the tin art. The tin is really nice looking, but the tobacco and how it smoked left no big impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.