PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Probably preaching to the choir here and I’m sure it’s been talked about ad nauseam over the years.
But, this is an awesome mixture.
Just had my first bowl. Pretty amazing. Easy to smoke slowly to savor the flavor with only a relight or two.
Started out perfect with a nice sturdy flavor all of the way to the last five minutes of the bowl.
The last five minutes were the most interesting though.
I began to get a taste like sweet root beer. Then vanilla. Then creamed corn. :crazy:
Never had that creamed corn experience before. But, it was, altogether, one of those “all is right with the world” moments that make smoking a pipe one of life’s quiet joys.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just popped a tin of this to jar and of course saved a couple of bowls to smoke now. This stuff is outstanding for sure. 4 more tins in the cellar for future enjoyment. Love this stuff.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Agreed, Durbar is magic, and while there are lots of really good oriental blends around, there's something about the mixture of perfume, spice, camel sweat, and whatever else you find in there... it's pretty amazing stuff.

Reactions: ekert

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Terrific blend. Based on some previous threads I read, I take it is not to everyone's taste. But I think it was wonderful. And like most Dunhill blends, burns very nicely.
Surprisingly, it was nearly the last blend to sell out at a quite a few places after Dunhill closed up.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Surprisingly, it was nearly the last blend to sell out at a quite a few places after Dunhill closed up.
Yes and this is reason why I delayed buying it but now that I've tried it, I certainly wish I would've bought much more.
Fortunately there are hundreds of other readily available blends I want to try. I'll miss my stash of Durbar when it's gone but probably not for long.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Durbar was one of the sleepers in the Dunhill line. Not the most popular but a crazy good blend.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
It's a great mix. I'm cellared pretty hard on it. P&G still has it available.
You meant P&C?
P&C does indeed have it. Just added 10 more tins to the cellar. Thanks for the tip.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
How does it compare to White Knight and Presbyterian?
Take this for what it’s worth because I’m still fairly new. White Knight and Presbyterian are excellent English blends and two of my favorites. Durbar is also an outstanding English however it seems as if the tobaccos are in better proportions and they smoke better/smoother to me.
Check out and compare each one on tobaccoreviews.com to get a better idea.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I discovered Durbar recently and love it. I've been searching for a replacement Balkan, but the few I've tried don't have the same perfumy-incensy thing that Durbar has. So far I've tried Balkan Sobranie, G.L. Pease Westminster, and Peterson Balkan Delight, a.k.a the English (?) that thinks it's a Balkan. I like all three, but even though they might be just as good as Durbar they lack that certain je ne sais quois. The search continues...
Btw, I'll take this opportunity to mention that Westminster is an excellent replacement for London Mixture, and might even be a little better.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
gerryp, try some GLP Quiet Nights. It has that incense-perfume thing going on. Not exactly the same as Durbar, but very present, and quite nice........... :puffy:

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
For a really nice "incense" Balkan, I found Arango, Balkan Supreme to be unbelievably good.
Also, I did find Durbar in stock at pipesandcigars.com. Just ordered 10 tins.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Durbar is great. I have 30 tins in the cellar.
That's funny. I bought 30 tins not long ago, when P&C had them for $7. Tempted to buy a few more now ($10 is still an excellent price), but the 40 or so tins in the cellar now represent a lifetime supply for me, at least for an occasional blend like Durbar.
For a really nice "incense" Balkan, I found Arango, Balkan Supreme to be unbelievably good.
A little pricier but very nice is Orcilla Mixture, at least in my opinion. And quite a few house bulk blends: Persian Slipper, one from Rich's (the name escapes me), Tashkent and No 40, etc.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Durbar...wonderful stuff...don't have that many tins of it, but with the rest of the cellar to work through, the 4-5 tins I do have will make it a very tasty treat.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Durbar. When it was reintroduced a few years ago, my first order was about 20 tins, and I've kept a pretty steady stock.
As far as how it compares to White Knight and Presbyterian, it is like White Knight. It tends towards the sour, woody incense type of Oriental blend, more in the vein of Sobranie White. Presbyterian is sweeter, softer and more floral.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
gerryp, try some GLP Quiet Nights. It has that incense-perfume thing going on. Not exactly the same as Durbar, but very present, and quite nice........... :puffy:
Thanks beef, I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.