PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve been looking for a cool ashtray to add a pipe knocker to and make it a pipe ashtray. I found some cool Dunhill ashtrays, black ceramic with red and gold print. All that I’ve looked at say Wade pdm England. Confusion is some go for $25 and some at $250 or more. Anybody know more about these. I bought one used for $24. If it’s “fake” or just plentiful and thus not collectible, it still looks cool.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jason

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
They are real and very common, I've got both sizes that I put knockers in. Some have a cover with a hole to ash in. I've got the matching branch water pitcher and coffee mugs too. They are the Dunhill International London, New York, Paris cigarette branding and I assume were made for pubs.
There are a couple of versions of the white ashtrays that I assume were for sale to consumers with the My Mixture pipe logo that are much harder to come by. They might have been a tinderbox thing(??).
I'm looking for the rose gold colored ash bowl with the asbestos(??)dome knocker in VG/EX condition. I have the silver and bronze bowls and would like to complete that collection. 8O

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably made for the cigar trade. But handsome and a collector's item, based on the prices quoted.
11967662105_75c13390e3_b.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the responses. I still don't understand the huge price variance? Is it just if you ask $250 someone will pay it eventually; even if it's way over the value?

I'll be happy with mine I hope.
Good Luck Daveinlax. Are the items you've got the things that look like large grenades or pineapples with a spring top? Their are cast iron or something similar. They look interesting if that's the thing I've seen on E-bay a few times. They looked really aged however.
Thanks again, be well.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Totally lame. The EBay selller cancelled my order. First he stalled saying he was sick, tried to get me to cancel. Then came back two days later and said he was too busy and couldn’t find the item. Cancel refund. What a dork move. Because it’s canceled I don’t see how to leave feedback. I’ll hunt again.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Dave? I have purchased from Tim and had a repair done. Very nice guy. I’ll ask him if the one I’ve got an offer on doesn’t come through.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
The black ashtrays were made in three sizes. I have a couple dozen in the various sizes shown in a photo by jpmcwjr. I also have water pitchers and glasses (look like highball glasses). The glasses and the pitchers were given with purchases of Dunhill cologne.
If jttnk lives in the US, I will sell you any of the three sizes of ashtrays for $32 shipped. Mine are all in excellent condition with no chips or cracks. PM me if interested.
Mike Hagley

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Mike,
I am interested in the 7" ashtray. I've PM'd, however I don't see the message in my sent or anything in my in box. Not sure if you've seen it?

Not sure if my messaging is working correctly.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I would like to clarify my previous post several days ago. While I do have several dozen Dunhill ashtrays, high ball glasses, and pitchers, my post was only to supply information about these products, and offer to sell one disappointed person an ashtray. I was not offering the items for sale to members of this group. I was just trying to help out one person who got screwed by an ebay seller.
I have gotten an email from another member wanting to buy the glassware and an ashtray. I have replied that at this time I do not want to sell any of these items. I reiterated that I was merely trying to help out someone.
Mike Hagley

Status
Not open for further replies.