PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
I was able to pick up my first tin of Aperitif last week and have now smoked a few bowls. This is absolutely fantastic! A full smoke that is very well balanced and burns beautifully. Does anyone else think this blend is often overlooked because of more popular blends such as EMP, Elizabethan, Royal Yacht and Nightcap?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I agree with you... I really enjoy Nightcap and Elizabethan but Aperitif makes it to one of my pipes at least once a week. Oddly, I only smoke Nightcap once in a while because I only have a tin and a half left but I burned through three tins, down to my last one, of Aperitif and still enjoy it regularly. I am taking a trip to Europe next fall and hope to come accross some more!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
milehighpiper slim chances you will find what you are looking for. Europe is little by little starting to be out of stock on Dunhill Blends.
Overall, I believe the Dunhill English blends fall in two major categories, the MM965 type and the Night Cap Type. EMP ... not sure where to put that, but the two major tendencies are these. If you enjoy My Mixture, than give BB1938, Aperitif, London Mixture, etc. a try. They blends that have many similarities. Myself, I am a MM965 type of guy, and I do enjoy the aperitif. I have written a rant on this about six months ago.
The Aperitif - A Quick Review

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Yes, I think The Aperitif is overlooked. I think it's out shined by MM965, being as they have the same constitutes, but in different ratios.
I love both The Aperitif and MM965.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I just found a Tin of the stuff at B&M in VA beach. Looking forward to trying it! I like all those others you mentioned but still prefer McC and GLP and SPC offerings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At my glacial pace, some day I'll pop my tin of Aperitif and revel in its qualities and added age. I'm still tilting at my windmill of supposing that the whole line of current Dunhill blends will resurface under new licensing and/or ownership, and that selling off the current inventory is just good marketing. If that should happen, please allow me to crow a bit as a two-bit seer. Otherwise, I'll just skulk off and change the subject.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
EMP, 965, and Nightcap get all the noise. I can do without any of them.

I have enjoyed both The Apertif and Durbar, but not enough to stock up on either of them. I have reasonable supplies of Standard and MM1938.

If they reappear, that would be nice, but I don't consider a matter of great import. There are other nice blends, and my tastes are still evolving.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jud, I think we are still in a golden age of pipe tobacco blends. The blenders are creative, original and wide-ranging. Regulatory tampering may limit or end this, but right now, the selection of genres and blends, and the availability and distribution especially online, is vast and amazing. Both in the premium small blender category, in the corporate offerings, and in the various old time longstanding blends, not all of them big names, the choices are vast. So yes, mourning Dunhill blends is kind of silly and spoiled; and then I suspect they will resurface anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.