PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I've actively avoided smoking outside mainly because of dumping ash. At home I can just pat the ash down and then give it a blow on the bin. Patting the ash down is not a big deal when you smoke at a café, but blowing is. It would feel very awkward turning my pipe upside down and blowing to the side.
What can I do to get rid of the ash and other stuff left in the shank when I'm outside?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
As per @lordofthepiperings, then I place a folded facial tissue directly over the bowl & blow gently through the stem. The ash is trapped in the tissue. Even better if the tissue is very slightly dampened.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I only smoke outside, and when I want to dump ash I just turn the pipe outside and let it fall out. Am I missing something? Is that a bad thing?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I don't really have an issue with dumping ash and dottle though I can appreciate your hesitation, especially if in a highly public area.
I begrudge cigarette smokers for the billions of cigarette butts that litter sidewalks everywhere, and the disgusting, marshy, accumulations of them that appear when the snow melts in the spring. I suppose if, as a non-cigarette smoker, I find it disgusting - then maybe as a pipe smoker I should try to avoid making non-pipe smokers disgusted...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If I'm in my backyard, I'll either have an ashtray available or I'll just let it go into the landscaping (depending on whether I'm having a leisurely smoke in a patio chair or smoking while doing yardwork...).
If I'm elsewhere (which almost never happens), I'll usually just stash the pipe in a pocket and deal with the ash later. My workplace actually has a number of "smoker's poles" around, several of which can be uncapped to allow for pipe ash disposal.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cigarette butts don't break down. Pipe ash (and dottle) does. So little to worry about here.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I live in Arkansas. You can't walk ten feel without stepping in a snuff-bunny. I just dump 'er out!

Mar 1, 2014
This is one reason I like smoking in winter, once there's a few inches of standing snow I can move around freely and dump dottle and ash just about anywhere, but during the summer I watch quite carefully that the ground beneath me is non-flammable (which might be harder in a rural setting).

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Suppose you could always get a portable ash tray if you're really concerned. As for blowing it out, I carry paper towels around in my pocket anyways, so cossackjack covered that one well. If you're blowing out your pipe (which I always blow the removed stem/then pipe before cleaning it) in public, you can always just step out of the way and handle it. As long as you're not blowing it right in someones face and you're out of the beaten path it should be ok :) What I hate to see, as a cigarette smoker; is when someone flips a cigarette butt when there is an ashtray near by. They stay around forever, are nasty, and in a way it's disrespectful. Not to mention with them lying around a child is bound to pick one up. With pipe tobacco, wind/rain will handle it just fine.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Wow. I ash wherever I want, but make sure to rub it out with my toe to avoid starting a fire. This is the weirdest thread I have seen on this forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only concern is fire hazard. You don't want to dump live fire anywhere there is fuel, even pine straw or dry leaves. Otherwise, ash and dottle are biodegradable and far less obnoxious than most of what gets discarded on the ground. I do scoop out my pipe over a mulched area or, if the ash is really cold, a waste bin, or a storm sewer, or gutter. Not anywhere that would look nasty, like on the sidewalk or other tidy area. Where would you deposit ash in your own yard? Follow those rules. Pipe ash is much less unsightly than cigarette butts or even cigar butts, since it is pretty much already reduced to ash, and the amounts are small.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I only smoke outside, and when I want to dump ash I just turn the pipe outside and let it fall out. Am I missing something? Is that a bad thing?
Really bad, it's actually fertilizing the ground. This is one of those issues that gives pipe smokers a black eye imo. Almost as disgusting when I see someone have a bonfire in their backyard.
This is the weirdest thread I have seen on this forum.
Indubitably
What can I do to get rid of the ash and other stuff left in the shank when I'm outside?

Leave it in the pipe until you get to a place you feel comfortable dumping it?? Derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.