PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Let this be a warning to all of you. One DUI can ruin your life.
A young man in my office was arrested this morning for DUI and Leaving The Scene. I should say, he was in my office, for he will be fired at 8:00 Monday. He's a good kid with lots of ability, and he could have retired from this position with a nice pension. But he made a couple of stupid decisions, and now he's gonna be unemployed.
It could have been worse. He could have hurt or killed somebody. Come on, guys... just don't do it. Bond, legal fees, loss of license and income, the very real possibility of death for you or some innocent - it ain't worth it, y'all.
Nobody is going to cut you a break, or follow you home, or just lose the paperwork. Actions have consequences.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Also agreed. When I was in Japan there was NO tolerance for drunk drivers. Even now, if I've had even one beer at dinner I'm not driving. It's just not worth the risk.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yeah DUI/OWI are stupid and expensive but why is he being fired? In most places a first offense is a violation not a crime. People get arrested for a lot of things everyday and don't lose their jobs. A good defense attorney can work wonders. 8O

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
ae1pt- That is a cautionary tale to end them all! I'm glad you put the responsibility where it belongs, and that you are now clear-headed.
daveinlax - He was a police officer. Was.
EDIT: My wife affirms that a teacher in her system would be fired, as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope this young person can put his life back together on a more responsible footing. The trouble

is, if you cut people slack, they assume you are winking at the behavior. Then someone dies of their

problem. If you need to get good and drunk, stay home. Better yet, find a different way to cheer up.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We've seen some changes in social attitudes over these last 50 or 60 years. One of my early childhood role models was Dean Martin. I just loved Juliette Prouse and Leslie Uggams. (ok, it wasn't THAT early)It's ok and funny if you're a bit tipsy! You can even enjoy a cigarette while you drink and tell jokes.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I doubt very much that it says a lot about a young person's responsibility, other than that your co-workers is a young person. Young people don't have the experience to make the right decisions all the time, which is why we generally don't urge 60-year-olds to go to 16-year-olds for life lessons.

Yes, he made a mistake. He should pay the legal consequences for it. But I don't believe a first offense DUI should lead to one losing one's career. I think, in fact, that is an obscene overreaction. My company's policy is quite different: a single DUI will trigger a substance abuse screening (and, if necessary, rehab) but does NOT lead to termination. A second offense would most certainly trigger a firing, but not the first. People make mistakes. The overwhelming majority of people in our society drink alcohol, and my guess is that the overwhelming majority have gotten behind the wheel at least once with a BAC over the legal limit. That doesn't make such behavior right, but I would hope it would put such things in a larger -- and more merciful -- perspective.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I know a guy who fled the scene after a drunk driving accident and was actually able to avoid the DUI because he was not actually caught at the scene drunk, thus no proof. Also, this same individual got in abother drunk driving accident and was officially arrested at the scene. Fortunately for him, he had enough money ($12000) for a good lawyer, and they dropped the DUI charge due to conflicting witness stamements.

He has since turned his life around, so I'm glad the DUI didn't destroy his life. But he was only able to do it without the black stain because of money. If the guy was poor, or not as well off as he was, he would have been screwed.

Also, all his accidents were not involving other people, just light poles and parked cars.

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I am not sure about the firing right away but he is/was law enforcement and should remember he is in the public eye.

Aug 1, 2012
Paid administrative leave (innocent until proven guilty) is not generally considered an acceptable stance in the USA when it comes to law enforcement or teachers. Remember the outrage about it in NYC where the teachers reported to holding areas until their cases were decided?
That said...Agreed, DUI is not a good thing at all from any standpoint. Leaving the scene as well? Even worse. However bad the situation is though, the brass needs to wait for a court verdict or a plea before termination of employment.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
It's all a very interesting debate, and a lot of good questions have been raised and answered. However...
Here's a guy I have worked beside for years, and whom I counted as a friend.
We have a zero-tolerance policy that every employee understands. He was terminated for cause at 8AM this morning.
And that, as the man says, is all I got to say about that.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
ae1pt thanks for pointing out that mess in Austin, TX. I enjoyed watching the video of that old battle ax getting arrested. :rofl:

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
After looking at her I don't think any one has been locked up long enough to ask her to pick up the soap either.

:rofl:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
agreed. Unfortunately DUI's are pretty common where I work and it is hard to see people throw away everything for something that is so easily avoidable. A cab is a heck of a lot cheaper than loosing your job and future and having to start all over again. Our employer has actually started up a deal with a company that will come and pick you up, as well as pick up your vehicle and take you both home. Pretty sweet idea and it makes it easier and more convenient to go out and enjoy yourself.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Thankfully it's only happened a couple of times at our department, but the person accused has been on paid suspension while awaiting trial, for the reasons cakeanddottle gave above.
To fire someone before they have been found guilty in court is contrary to the principle of "innocent until proven guilty". That basic principle should apply to everyone equally, including teachers and police officers. Even suspensions without pay are punitive, and not in keeping with "innocent until proven guilty".
That being said, if found guilty the teacher or police officer can expect to get fired, whereas those in other occupations may not. And they should be fired, in my mind, because they've not only committed a crime but have breached the trust of the public.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Ahh! Couple days old on this thread, but have to step in here. As someone who works for the Goverment, and as someone who also does not have any sympathy for DUI/DWI/OVI. I do also believe that people are SOMETIMES deserve and 2nd chance. After all if you take some pain killers for a surgery and hit a parked car, should we take your job? I think this country in its race to become more tolerant on so many issues, is actually become less so. We are becomeing a society of "I'm better than you's" Now I'm not saying that if someone is caught in the middle of a murder, and there is no doubt, we should rub their shoulders and tell them it's not their fault because mommy and daddy didnt show them more love. On the contrary take them out to the shed, as our courts are too overloaded anyway. But I do believe that he without sin (or in this case misjudgement) be the first to cast the first stone.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Losing your job for something like this is actually pretty common. I'm an insurance agent, have my insurance license in 42 states. If I get a DUI, even without leaving the scene, I lose my license and lose my job. Hopefully this young man learns from this mistake and can move on with his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.