PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Well, my destinations have grown. Got the Dublin stay figured out - Found a room at the Wynn. You weren't lying... It was difficult finding a decent/affordable place to stay in Dublin during these dates. We finally said screw it and decided to "pay" for a more proper hotel.

We're planning to make it to Galway/Cliffs of Moher and North to Giant's Causeway. (5 days)
In Paris (not our first time) we'll be staying at an Air BB on Rue Cler (again) - Excellent place to stay for lovers of food and markets. We have most of our Paris itinerary worked out since we've been etc... (6 days)
Lastly, we'll hit Prague for 6 days. We're staying in another Air BB not far from the Charles Bridge. So far, all we have planned is a day trip to Dresden...
I never made it to the Parisian Tobacconist near the Louvre. Is it worth seeing?
Any cool tobacco locations? Favorite places to eat? Things that must be experienced? We leave in a week.
Thanks, G

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you get to the Peterson shop in Dublin, you might keep an eye out for any evidence of its new U.S. ownership. If asked diplomatically, the staff might have observations. In Paris, a non-pipe stop, I really enjoyed the Rodin museum, outdoor exhibit of monumental work, and indoor smaller pieces you might not even associate with Rodin.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I always recommend Trafika U Sherlocka Holmese in Prague, right off of wenceslas' square. Last time I was there I ran across another tobacconist just by accident, and I wouldn't be able to retrace my steps, but the above mentioned is quite a respectable place. They carry Czech pipes as well .. the actual address is Vodičkova 1935/38, 110 00 Nové Město. They have no website.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
When you say Giant's Causeway you're heading to where my father's family lived at the time they emigrated or, rather, about 10 miles from it. Have never been and would love to set foot in my family's old territory.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
The Causeway is just a few miles from the old seaside village of Ballintoy which may be worth a visit. Our family lived in what was then referred to as Drumnagee townland a few miles southwest of Ballintoy. Townlands were essentially sections of farmland which could vary in size from a few hundred acres to a few thousand. Don't know if they even use the designation of townland anymore. Did take a virtual driving tour of Drumnagee road which cuts through the area on Goggle Earth.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Cool stuff guys... This is great information... Irishearl, My cousin who has Maltese roots finally went to Malta to explore. She had never met anyone with her last name in the USA, In Malta, there were a lot of folks with this last name. Going off of a tip from her Great Aunt, she knocked on a door of a potential relative. This "potential relative" was confirmed as an Aunt and my cousin and her traveling companion were immediately invited in and the family insisted that they stay for a few days. My cousin had the best time in her life. She immediately gained a new extended family who was full of love, great stories and the best food she had ever eaten. She keeps in touch to this day and plans to return soon when her daughter and son are old enough. It was such a cool story. The German/Swiss side of my ancestry is fairly erased - German men working in American factories with mail order Swiss brides ... but the British/Welsh side of my ancestry has traceable records that extend back into the 1600's on one side and the early 1800's on the other. Last year I learned some of them come from extremely close to our forum member Jay lives.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
My father is from the Czech Republic and we were in Prague a few years back. For sights, being close to Charles Bridge is a great spot. I would certainly go to Prague Castle as it is close to the bridge. Also, I would recommend the astronomical clock and the powder tower. Prague was a great city to wander around. Great beer, food, and a rum you can't get anywhere else, Tuzemak. The underground is a great fast way to get around as well. Very affordable.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Irishearl. Small world; although my dad was originally born on a small farm not far from Portadown when he retired he settled in Ballycastle. I've spent may a happy day walking along the coast paths of the Antrim coast with dad when he was fit enough to do it; later years it was more a case of driving and finding a quiet spot to just enjoy the view (or visiting Bushmills...). Sadly these days a visit means going to his graveside but at least there's plenty of happy memories of past days.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I first visited Prague back in 1987 (two years before the Velvet Revolution). It was the end of a cycling holiday that started in Vienna (not a long distance but the original plan was to start in Berlin and cycle through what was then East Germany, only the DDR authorities where not that keen on the project :puffpipe:). The Czechs couldn't have been more welcoming given the situation then. Because we were cyclists we were officially classified as a sporting delegation and not tourists, so need for tourist ministry guides and our guide from the sports ministry was extremely laid back about where we went and what we did.
Also, because of our 'official' status we had a government welcoming dinner at Prague Castle which was a bit of an eye opener having seen what village shops and restaurants had to offer en-route. Up til then we had been camping and staying on camp sites mostly closed to westerners so the other campers were all from the eastern bloc. Czechs and Poles on the campsites were pretty friendly and would play football or what ever with us, but the East Germans, Bulgarians and Romanians couldn't get far enough away and would presumably have been in serious trouble if they were seen to fraternize with us.
I've been back to Prague several times since things changed - including another cycling trip from Praque to Venice in 1992 and several working trips. As Elessar says, great food and Great Beer!.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Sounds like s great trip! I was in Berlin in March for about 8 days and wish I had ventured out to some other cities while there.
Have a great adventure!

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Sooo much good beer. If you are a beer lover it is a fun place to try some great beers not easily available elsewhere. One of my favorites is Kozel Premium 12°. But you can't really go wrong on beer. Paris and Prague are both places where you can try Absinthe as well. France is probably the more authentic version but the Czech flaming version is fun to try also.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Sooo much good beer. If you are a beer lover it is a fun place to try some great beers not easily available elsewhere. One of my favorites is Kozel Premium 12°. But you can't really go wrong on beer. Paris and Prague are both places where you can try Absinthe as well. France is probably the more authentic version but the Czech flaming version is fun to try also.
Ah, but which version has the most wormwood so you can properly lose your mind?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sounds awesome. We were hanging out at our neighbors last night, who are Irish. Their nephew from Dublin was there, talking about the city (he never heard of Peterson pipes....19 yr old). I'll stay tuned for pictures!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@lasttango...A La Pipe du Nord in Paris is closed Sundays and Mondays. Also, their website states they will be closed from July 28 to August 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.