PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2016
Lately i've been feeling my throat so dry when smoking Mac Baren Vanilla cream that i cant even finish a bowl without drinking something, is this normal ? you guys always smoke with drinks ? anyone have any tips of harmonizing drinks with certain types of tobaccos and blends ?
Thanks !

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
My mouth cannot handle more than a bowl a day without drying out and it seems the taste buds especially in the back of my mouth get swollen and tobacco starts to lose or change its flavor. Strong english blends with alot of latakia seem to be the worst.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, I don't like to smoke without a drink. I always get a dry mouth and throat while smoking. Coffee, monster, or iced tea.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What types of blends are you smoking, that can make a big difference in how or why you are getting dry mouth.
I always have a drink next to me when I smoke my pipe. In the morning to early afternoon, I drink hot and then cold Cafe Du Monde Coffe. Then I start drinking Luzianne Iced tea with lots of Stevia for sweetener. I found that certain aromatics that have a high content of PG will dry my mouth real bad. I stopped smoking Boswell aromatics because of this.
If this doesn't work, try some Biotene mouth wash, that can also help. I have always had a drink next to me while smoking, didn't matter if it was cigars or pipes.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Same boat as you buddy, I quit drinking and decided my vice of choice will be the briar once a day, my prefered drink a refreshing glass of Roses passion fruit cordial mixed with lemonade, leave me without hangovers and contributes to a friendlier disposition.
If however you do decide to opt for a nice glass of beer, please just dont go the Mitchell and Webb way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRtfIrNOZU

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not only will a beverage keep your throat from getting dry, but it does something to the volume of smoke and amplifying the flavor. Start with water, to give you a baseline, and try around with other beverages over time. Tea is pretty neutral. Coffee's better with some blends than others, and can coat your mouth a little, which can be good or bad. Alcohol is more nuanced, so you have to try around with that. I think flavorings in aromatics give me more trouble than any tobacco itself, so I mostly smoke non-aromatics.

Mar 7, 2016
Thanks everyone for the feedback, i'll try this vanilla cream with some milk and coffe see if it matches ! thanks again !

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
gabrielcsillaz, another drink you might want to try is 190 proof Everclear. That will numb your throat after the first shot. Do a few more and you won't know the time of day is.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Everclear mentioned above is also a GREAT pipe-cleaner-outer/"sweetener".(Just do NOT let it touch the exterior of any pipe... it's also a finish-stripper and eats ebonite for breakfast.)
My son and I favor a smoking accompaniment of Gerolsteiner bubbly mineral water, when we can get it here. Refreshingly neutral with a taste-bud awakening zip with each sip. I would have thought that BS until I tried it. When I cannot get it, I like our supermarkets house brand of mint-lime carbonated water... the flavors are very light and discrete and serve more as a palate moisturizer, refresher, and re-setter.
And finally, our tap water on ice is good to go on a budget, when necessary. Cheers! :puffy:

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
drink some beer, a really cold beer, it helps or iced tea, but take it slow on the smoking, when I smoke fast my whole mouth gets dry.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Agree with Larry127, McDonald's coffee is underrated, luv that brew.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I find that anything carbonated lessens my smoking experience. Also bourbon harms it. I generally drink iced tea or water.
Until the bowl is finished....then bourbon...or a nice single malt.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I'm not big on iced tea but it went well with the last couple bowls I've had of Frog Morton and the CAO Moontrance. I have also tried limeade with Frog Morton. I liked it but am guessing that most would disagree about something so sweet/sour/acidic being paired with tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.