PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
These would make smokable but probably very poor pipes. Theres a big difference between field corn and hybrid cob corn. Picture an ear of corn thats nearly as wide as it is long. I dont know how thick they are, but something like 4-5" wide and 6-7" long. Without those wide cobs, theres not much material there for thick walls and burnout is a problem. But if you have a basket full of dried cobs to keep making more, burnouts probably not an issue for you.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey, just saw it, I know nothing about making pipes, so I figured I'd post it. Oh well, doesnt seem to be worth much

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
dgerwin11,I'm curious. How is it possible to turn a pen from a corn cob? Do they start with young,immature ears? I would think that by the time a large mature ear was turned down to pen size there would be nothing but pith left.Does the resin make them harder,more resistant to breaking?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have turned many pens, but not out of corncobs. There are two methods, buy stabilized cobs that already have the risen impregnated into the cob. Or use a regular dry cob. Then coat it in CA, superglue, turn a little, more CA, more turning, more CA, more etc. There is a picture in this tutorial below.
Winton
http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/corncobpen.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.