PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
Hi, Lifestyle forced me away from pipe smoking about 15 years ago. I miss the variety of taste with pipes, so I have re-opened my pipe kit. I discovered that all my favorites are gone - Dunhill's Light Flake, London Mixture, Royal Yacht and Nightcap. I was never content with the quality or taste other brands I tried so I never explored too far. (I tried the resurrected Dunhill products about 5 years ago and went back to cigars...) Any replacements to recommend?
I smoke about 2-3 times a week, mostly, so I'm not an 'all day' smoker. Early Morning, 965 and the other 'daily progression' tobacco didn't do it for me. I can't smoke all day and just want the main course on a quiet evening after dinner.
Light Flake - I loved the (original) so much I rubbed it into my corn flakes in the morning. It's was the closest I came to an all-day tobacco. London Mixture tastes like an oriental rug looks. Royal Yak - hated it at first, then came to crave its powerful dried plum broodiness. It was designed for smoking at night on the open bridge of a destroyer in North Atlantic convoy duty. Nightcap - the powerhouse.
Any close recommendations - or new that are equally interesting and distinctive would be nice to hear about.
Cheers,

-Charlie

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo tai
you're in luck, because we're still near the crest of the boom in pipe tobacco blends, as the infernal FDA Deeming rules haven't quite taken hold yet. Like you, I was a Dunhill fanboy decades ago, but have migrated to the many other newer (and older) blends. Also, pipe clubs have (sort of) sprung up in the last few years, providing an opportunity to try out various blends without having to commit to buying whole tins of unknown concoctions. I never got to the Yacht, but Pease Latakias should give you a number of choices to supercede both London Mixture (Westminster) and Nightcap (Gasslight, Quiet Nights). There are quite a few bright Virginia flakes comparable to DH Flake, mostly from across the pond (Orlik Golden Slices, Aylesbury Luxury Flake, Sutliff 507c Virginia Slices). Maybe the somewhat richer Pease Union Square may scratch that itch.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
les' is so right. This is a golden age for variety and availability of blends. And no one has mentioned burley blends at all. Cornell & Diehl, years ago in Pennsylvania (I think it was) and later in Morganton, N.C., and now under different ownership in S.C., had brought burley from the over-the-counter codger world -- which incidentally is still going strong -- to true originality and refinement, in vast variety. For refined use of burley in an English blends, try Nat Sherman 536. Many wonderful things happening while it lasts. I stlll have an unopened tin of Royal Yacht, and a few McClellands, for the future.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There is something to replace every blend, except Royal Yacht. For the Flake, try Capstan Blue Flake, Fribourg & Treyer Vintage or Cut Virginia Plug. For Nightcap, everyone seems to point to something, is it Artisan's Blend? Can't remember right now.

But Royal Yacht is irreplacable.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I never tried the Dunhill tobaccos that you were so fond of. The resurrected Dunhill blends were middle of the road in my opinion, except I really loved Dunhill Dark Flake & (light) Flake.
I would suggest you try Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture for a good English/Balkan blend (kind of hard to find these days).

Something to replace Nightcap would be C&D’s Engine 99, I actually think it’s much better than the latest version of Nightcap.
Depending on where you live, you might still be able to find Brigham’s Hudson Bay. It’s rumored to be a lot like the Murray’s produced Royal Yacht. I’ve never tried it myself but I have some in the cellar. Other than that, I don’t think there is really anything quite like what you are looking for. The best luck in finding a replacement for the blends you mentioned is a replacement for Nightcap. Good luck to ya.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
Many thanks for the suggestions. I had a hard time finding all of them "in stock" and wound up ordering Ashton Artisan's Blend and GL Pease Sextant and Westminster. They look to be entertaining.
In anticipation of their delivery, I opened the last tins of Royal Yacht and Nightcap. With a big, happy sigh, I hope the new will be as satisfying.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
I'm very satisfied...
Westminster - Sublime. Seems like a softer London Mixture (old), If you will. More interesting than 965. Red Virginas, Cypriot Latakias, and Orientals with just a touch of an unidentifiable opioid.
The Cypriot vs Syrian Latakia might be the difference, but I would have called this, "Fulbright". A precocious yank goes to school in England and captures the essence of the London mixtures with his own unique American, if you will, take on them. A modern and wonderful derivative of the original.
Sextant - seems like a the combination of 965 and Light Flake. Interesting and nearly as habit-forming.
Artisan's Blend - only ran through a few bowls because it is a bit wet in the can and I haven't dried it out enough, but once. Seems to nip a the GLPs in quality. I'll dry it out and concentrate on it more. Seems to be very good. Have a new meerschaum coming on Monday...
These are all excellent and very enjoyable. I'm going to have to run through more of Pease's tobaccos. The king is dead, long live the king.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome. I am sure you will be pleased with your purchases. I am going to temper your expectations a bit by stating that, you should not expect these blends to be “copies” of the Dunhills you seek to replace. Westminster is a great tobacco. It is Pease’s homage to London Mixture. It just isn’t London Mixture. I cellared London Mixture and Westminster. They are not the same. The Artisan Blend that I have cellared has Syrian Latakia so, I can not comment on the new version. I did not previously find the similarity in this either. Once again, a good blend. I guess what I am saying is, if you are jumping back into it, you have been given some good places to start. Just don’t expect them to fulfill your pipe memories. Keep looking if these don’t hit it for you. I would further recommend PS #52 Proper English and GLP Abingdon for London Mixture replacement. Neither of these are the same as London Mixture either, but depending on the profile you are seeking, the PS has more of that traditional English mixture taste and the Abingdon is a more Oriental forward take on the genre.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
unidentifiable opioid.

:rofl:
...running to my cellar now to crack my only tin of Westminster. It’s got about 10 years of age on it. Unfortunately, I don’t recall being too impressed with it. Skiff Mixture is much more refined and olde worlde to my palate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some blends that I really enjoy and are a part of my cellar. All of them are readily available at the major online retailers.
Capstan Blue Flake or Gold Flake might bring you some of the flavors you get in Light Flake. Other quality blends are as follows:

Escudo

Solani 633 and 660 Silver Flake

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

MAc Baren Old Dark Fired

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would agree with the suggestions that you try Capstan or Sutliff Virginia Slices for the bright flake itch. They are tasty and easily available. Peretti Boston Slices might work, too. Welcome back to pipes. :puffy:

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
Thank you for the recommendations.
I've burned through some old remainder tins this week: Reiner 71, Light Flake, Irish Flake, and Connoisseur's Choice, waiting for the delivery of Golden Slices, Escudo, Doblones d'Oro and Union Square. Many of the above look great, but are not available right now in the States... These should tide me over.
I've read some of the old reviews about these old tobaccos to see what I may have missed. I remember that highly recommended Irish Flake and Connoisseur's Choice were impulse buys at local shops and that I didn't like them. I remember all Peterson's I tried, and Mac Baren, incl. University, Sherlock, Navy Flake, etc - scorched my tongue, unlike Light Flake. Lightly puffing them today, I find even the semi-aromatic(?) Connoisseur's Choice has some good, if light, taste.
It occurred to me that a large part of the appeal for the old Dunhill tobaccos may have been due to their tolerance of hard puffers.
The Reiner 71 was a good lead up to the last bowls of Light Flake. It is sweeter and lighter and while nice, it highlighted the broad, simple, quality of LF's Straight Virginias. So, I have a particular interest in Union Square. It looks like I'll be starting days with Virginia and mix in English as the day goes on.
Life is Good.
-TD

Status
Not open for further replies.