PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I just got a letter in the mail from International Pipes & Accessories (makers of Dr. Grabow pipes). I ordered a pipe directly from them about a year ago and I'm on their mailing list.
It says, thanks for buying our products through our mail order service. When you buy directly from us you save at least 25% and up to 41%. That's a great deal for those on a budget. It also says, when you buy a pipe from them, they pay shipping and handling. And, for the first time in 20 years they are reintroducing the 'Adjustomatic'.
That's sums up the letter. Just thought it was good information to pass along to everyone here.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
What does 'adjustomatic' mean? Is this something from Grabow with threads? I have a couple old Starfires that I received from my father that I need to be sent in to have holes fixed in the bit and they are screw-in. Are these 'adjustomatic'?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The fact that they discount direct sales must make their retailers happy. Well, come to think about it, maybe drug stores don't care. Are Grabows available in many or any B&Ms?

Mike S.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Reichenbach, the letter also says they have a stem replacement and buffing service. It cost $11 per pipe plus $3 shipping and handling.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What does 'adjustomatic' mean? Is this something from Grabow with threads? I have a couple old Starfires that I received from my father that I need to be sent in to have holes fixed in the bit and they are screw-in. Are these 'adjustomatic'?
What Rothnh said. Your Starfires are Ajustomatic,even if not stamped as such.They will sometimes seize up if not used. Easy fix to get them working again if wanted.

If you call the factory about stem replacement they will use a vulcanite stem--IF they have one and you ask for vulcanite. Otherwise you will most likely get an ABS stem.

If they're bringing it back out I will have to buy a couple.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info! I certainly want to to get those beauts serviceable. I will have to contact them. Thanks again!

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I look forward to the new Dr.Grabow Adjustomatics, and I will

also add them to my great collection of at least 25 Dr.Grabows.

Great pipes, at affordable prices.

Can't beat that.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
OK Friends, I may sound a bit foolish here but I have to ask.

What are you adjusting the stem for?

I am not understanding the reasoning here.

Sorry if this is a foolish question. :roll:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have such a love-hate relationship with Dr. Grabow.

I own an Omega, a Savoy, and a Grand Duke that I really like.
I really want to love them because they are "hand made" in the USA.
I hate them because I loathe the Dr Grabow/Medico paper filters, and I can't find a "restrictor" plate/tube to replace the damn paper filter.
Sigh...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The filter aspect is a drag, but I like the feel and look of the Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog so well, I put up with it. The

stem and shank join nicely, though don't seem adjusto-anything. But I agree, if they brought some of the Royalton

quality to an incrementally higher level pipe, and perhaps offered an adaptor to make the filter optional, these would

be attractive pipes. The Royalton bulldog is elegantly shaped, has nice heft and sturdiness, and a good finish. It's

well above its price in quality, I think.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My nearest B&M doesn't carry them, though I wish they did. All they have is MM, basket czechs and italians, Savs, Petes, etc. and a case with all the high end/multi-hundred dollar briar. MM is the cheapest in that joint, after that it jumps to the mid-$30's and beyond. No Grabow in-between.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I don't see any way of ordering a pipe from their website, and no mention of re-stemming service. Is there another site for ordering? Or is it just available to the email list? Here's all I could find.
http://www.drgrabow.net/smokingpipes.aspx

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love my old adjustomatic. I haven't been able to get the stem off in years, heh heh, but it passes a pipe cleaner, so I have no trouble keeping it clean. I bought it in 1979.

DrGrabowViscount_zps2a6d19a5.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have such a love-hate relationship with Dr. Grabow.

I own an Omega, a Savoy, and a Grand Duke that I really like.
I really want to love them because they are "hand made" in the USA.
I hate them because I loathe the Dr Grabow/Medico paper filters, and I can't find a "restrictor" plate/tube to replace the damn paper filter.
Sigh...
Zeke,not all Grabows ever made used a paper filter.You should take a look around Ebay for one of the lines that used a removeable stinger. Starfire,Viscount,Regal,Eldorado,Westbrook,Emperor. 99% of those will be Ajustomatics. There was a few push stem stinger equipped pipes made during the "Lane Era".

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I, for one, would like to also see them step up their game by offering some higher end pipes in the repertoire.
That would be something to see some high quality Grabows. I want to see them bring back the old colored pipes, I always thought they were cool.

~Ron

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Werdna, they don't have a website to order from but, if you print the picture of their pipes on the website and circle which one you want and mail it to them they will send it to you. It's the old way of doing things.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
  • The old way of doing things -- that's pretty cool. Grabow should modernize a bit though.

:idea: The hollow Rock Maple tubes from which Brigham filters are made might be used as a inner sleeve to reduce the Grabow's I.D.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
@05venturer thank you for the tip!
The balsa system filters work great in my Dr Grabow Grand Duke, giving it a new life.
Right now I am enjoying some Sutliff Academy in it, the Dr Grabow Grand Duke that is.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ejames, that is too bad about the filters. You could try making your own 'restrictor' out of a dowel from home depot. Hmm, I might try that on my Omega actually. I have one Dr Brabow that has no filter and is a push tenon stem. I'm still breaking it in so I can't say how good a smoker it is just yet.
Sam,in the top part of my last post I was quoting Zekest and forgot to add the quotation marks. I have no problems with the filtered Grabows,they are what I smoke 90% of the time--with the filters. I have converted one filter pipe, a Medico Ventilator, to a filterless pipe. The Ventilators cannot be smoked without a filter. I turned a piece of briar to fit the full length of the aluminum shank and drilled an airway through it. Also replaced the stem with a vulcanite stem with a delrin tenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.