PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I came across an interesting Dr.Grabow. It has the spade on the top of the stem and the stem is screwed into device stamped distiller. The only stamping on the bowl is 8415. The shank is really short so I was thinking this could have been a mod but at the same time it looks like it could be factory. The pipe has no Linkmans or Dr. Grabow stamp so really I have no idea what I have. I've tried searching the web but haven't been able to turn anything up. Anyway here are some pictures.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It is factory made. Not many were made. If you ever decide to part with it I'd buy it. I forget the time frame these were made but would guess post WW2 to early 1950's. RJ Mckay might know more. He's on the Dr. Grabow Collectors group on FB.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Wow. Who ever saw one of those before? Not me. I've looked at thousands of pipes this last 2 years, (mostly online)and haven't seen one like that.

I wonder how it performs?

Must not be too great, or there would be more. The Grabow Edsel.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
@ejames Thanks. I put in a request to join the group. I'll let you know what they say.

@peteguy It came in a lot of pipes I bought at a junk shop. I only intended to buy a couple from the pile and the guy gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. This one almost got left behind.

@newbroom No idea how it would smoke. I might fire it up today while I putz around the shop.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Must not be too great, or there would be more.
A corollary is that there is a balance between increased performance and higher demands for maintenance, time operating, etc.
Think of manual transmissions in cars. In theory, better gas mileage and more control over the vehicle. In reality, most people prefer not to have them because they add unnecessary complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.