PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry292

Lurker
Apr 5, 2017
I took this on a visit to the factory in 2010. It's the watertower at the old Sparta Industries plant.
The sign outside the new plant, just down the road from the old one.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for the folks in Sparta. Along with MM cobs, I believe they may be the highest volume pipe maker in the U.S., one of them anyway. The shaping on the Royalton bulldog looks to me like an artisan carving job. They do good work. Most of the readers of Our State probably had never heard of Dr. Grabow or Sparta.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Very cool, seems to line up with some of the facts that I'd previously read about on Pipedia, but more detailed than I remember reading on the history since the move to NC.

I have one Dr. Grabow (Grand Duke) and it smokes great, I love it for what it is: a pipe I don't need to worry about overmuch, as it can be replaced fairly painlessly.

Reactions: danimalia

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
@mso489 The only Grabow I have is a Royalton bulldog. Looks good and smokes even better. Wish they still did factory tours because my wife and I run the Miata by Sparta on the Blue Ridge Parkway fairly often.

Reactions: cortezattic

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
Nice article! Had actually broke out my Dublin shaped Viscount and run a bowl of Nightcap through it last night. Not the prettiest pipe in the world but a great smoker.
Jon

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
great read! thanks for sharing. had no idea they were manufactured in our great north state

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
A Grabow was my first pipe both of the times I got into smoking. The first was gifted by my mother when I first got into cigars and tobacco but it didn't take. The second was given to me by a higher up over at P&C to try Russ's blends when I got a job at CI. That one took. I don't really smoke it anymore, but I keep it in my backpack for emergencies.
Thanks for sharing this article!

Status
Not open for further replies.