PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd call the "visitor's center." They have an interest in your enjoying your stay so you'll come back and recommend it to others, and they may also have coupons for discounts at lodging. Also, they think in terms of the public. One person's area to avoid is another person's destination. Do you want to avoid noise, crime, bleak surroundings, family groups, etc.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'd call the "visitor's center." They have an interest in your enjoying your stay so you'll come back and recommend it to others, and they may also have coupons for discounts at lodging. Also, they think in terms of the public. One person's area to avoid is another person's destination. Do you want to avoid noise, crime, bleak surroundings, family groups, etc.
Heh. I've had good help from tourism departments/Visitors centers many times. Good call. They're easy to overlook but if you get a good employee, you can tell they just love to make sure you enjoy your stay in their area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Visitor centers and cab and uber drivers are usually good about guiding you away from trouble areas. My late wife and I made a trip to Wash. D.C., to a big Smithsonian festival on Indian (East Indian) culture, and our first cab ride, the driver briefed us on where not to go. It was helpful. In later years, I had to back off some lodgings that I knew to be in a rough area and opt for a Metro ride from near-Virginia. Worked fine. Even the rejected hotel said I'd have to get a cab at the door and not walk to the Metro station. They were up front about it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Middle Tennessee guy here. Most of Nashville is fine. East Nash is rapidly transforming, but still has some of the dicier areas of town. If you want trendy, try the Gulch. Green Hills and other neighborhoods just south of downtown are probably the nicest. The are over by TSU is kind of a mixed bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.