PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the greats. She could sing, act, and ad lib as a personality, and managed her career far better than most, and kept it going for decade after decade. She braved working with the ever lecherous Alfred Hitchcock, and forever played the innocent despite it all. The old joke, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin. I'm glad she made it well into her nineties. I bet she had a good time long after she left the screen and spotlight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
She did have a fine life after she retired from films and public life. She was a regular lunch patron at Edgar's, a restaurant on the golf course which her house overlooked. But she also hasn't appeared anywhere in Carmel for over five years, including anywhere on the grounds of Quail Lodge GC and Resort, where she lived.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
She did a lot for animal welfare, and though there is often controversy about some issues, I think she did a lot to get good animals to good homes instead of euthanized.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
She was a true treasure of entertainment. I really enjoyed her movies, except for the ones with Rock Hudson. She just didn't look right with him. And I loved her singing "I'm going to take a sentimental journey". I'll miss her. R.I.P.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Another great talent lost that the young ones will never have a clue about...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My cousin played one of her sons in the old Doris Day Show. I got to meet her and her dogs on the set one day as well as a couple of the regulars on the show. That seems so long ago. I thought she'd live forever.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Que sera, sera
Well, somebody had to do it, but ... not in mean spirit. She was a treasure and had a good run I think. :worship:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Another great talent lost that the young ones will never have a clue about...
She is lost for well over 30 years, when she stopped singing and acting. One good thing is that the younger generations should they be curious can find her on you tube :D 97 ... gosh, a hell of a run.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
A couple of her flicks weren't stellar, but so much of what she did was perfect, for lack of a better term. Hardly anybody did the "light sex comedy" better than she did. When she & somebody like Rock or James Garner clicked, it just didn't get any better, except for Powell & Loy. THEY were the definitive on-screen couple, but Day/Garner came daggone close.
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apparently one of her husbands who managed her career skimmed too much off for himself, but after the divorce, she used her celebrity and a TV show to get back control of her finances. She did love her critters and took great solace in them as she aged. She entered her film career as a desperation hire when Judy Garland didn't take a role, and another actress got pregnant. One critic said of her first film, she had a lot to learn about acting but had the talent to take her time. She was an extremely skilled singer and had a genius for presenting herself on stage and on film.

Status
Not open for further replies.