Don't You Just Hate It When You Miscalculate?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I have been looking forward to a nice weekend of cleaning some great pipes I picked up recently and today was the day. I lined up my pipes to clean, grabbed my basket of cleaning supplies and started preparing the workstation. The inventory said I had another pack of tapered bristle pipe cleaners but guess what...I don't. There were enough to clean one pipe and I might be able to do another if it's not too bad but that's it. What really sucks is this is the last bit of time I'll have for cleaning pipes until February :( . So my nice, new (to me) pipes will just have to sit there unloved for a month or 2. I guess that will teach me to run low on supplies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Q-tips, dipped in alcohol, can be substituted for pipe cleaners for the shank. Instead of doubled up pipe cleaners. That'll save you on some cleaners, which can be used for the stem only.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I agree with kashmir..I've used Q-tips forever..Some time ago I ran into a shop that had been converted to a place that sold water softening supplies.For almost nothing the fella sold me enough pipe cleaners to probably last me for several more years.They were left over from when the place was a smoke shop.I did just have to buy another bottle of Bacardi 151 though.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks guys, and thanks for the chuckle Lawrence. The 2-pipe estimate was including the shank brushes and q-tips too. It did turn out to be a little bit like the loaves and fishes because I had enough to do 4 pipes all-told. The ones I picked turned out to be pretty clean already. No .22 brush but a good number of reserve shank brushes did help out a lot.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
a = b

a² = ab

a² – b² = ab – b²

( a – b )(a + b) = b( a – b )

a + b = b

b + b = b

2b = b

2 = 1
Invalid, since you can't divide by zero, because if a=b then a-b is always zero, and division of zero is undefined. Sorry, being a math major has it's disadvantages from time to time.

~Ron

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Lawrence, I posted your problem on Facebook and my engineering cousin found the error. I will post it at work to see if anyone there can figure it out.
Winton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back to the cleaning-the-estates problem, funny how when you begin to delve into a problem, suddenly there are

at least several different ways to solve it. It reminds me a little of my one instructional experience with rock

climbing. You cling perched to the side of the rock looking at no footholds at all, and suddenly as you have

exhausted all possibilities, three or four footholds appear. The way you can use your eyes to look for something

that is (apparently) lost, or your ears to track problems in an automobile. You have to let go of your assumptions

and let your senses work.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The problem with miscalculating is that it can make you go blind. And you will grown hair on your...wait a minute. It's not that? Oh sorry,...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Take heart, the last time I miscalculated I wound up becoming a father. Then I miscalculated what a daughter will cost my wife and I over 28 years. So far I calculated that it's cost us a Bentley, a home in the Virgin Islands and more than a few gray hairs plus other odds and ends.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Take heart, the last time I miscalculated I wound up becoming a father. Then I miscalculated what a daughter will cost my wife and I over 28 years. So far I calculated that it's cost us a Bentley, a home in the Virgin Islands and more than a few gray hairs plus other odds and ends.
That's all? You must have mistreated your daughter LOL
But, what better way is there to spend the money?

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Just take solace from the face that she'll cost her husband to be a lot more :D Just kidding!
I get this sort of thing all the time...the one chance I get to do something, something else crops up...or some essential tool I've lost...or some essential part I haven't got. I also suffer then from going to a shop to get replacements, only to find out it's closed, sold out, stocks every size but the one I need...etc. Grrr...Just know that you're not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.