Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Let's talk about pipe tools. How many do you have? How many have you lost?
I actually have way more than I use on a regular basis. I am also happy to say that I rarely lose them.
Russ, on the other hand, loses them more than socks.
Read about it in his latest article -

Being a Tool

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I still have the same two pipe tools I started with. One for home and one for on the go. Basic czech tools that work just fine. I can't bring myself to shell out money for some of these cool and nice tools/tampers. Though I have been on the lookout for a wooden or bone fid to use as a tamper.
And yes, @Kevin, I did post a comment on the article itself.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Being both over-pragmatic and a cheapskate, I have a Czech tool and a bag of 3 1/2 inch golf tees...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have several czech tools that I never use and a ton of pipes nails I tend to find everywhere. lol

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I bought a 10 pack of pipe nails to lose, and have the tools and knives in all my cases. Funny thing is, like cheap sunglasses I have all my nails and lost all my tools. Figures, great article.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
My theory is that like matter, tampers can not be destroyed only transformed. So I believe that the missing tampers are used to create the keys that show up on key chains that no one knows what they unlock.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
@cmdrmcbragg I have applied for a Government grant to prove my theory. I have not had any response as of yet.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I really enjoyed that piece. As I said in the comments, I have several handmade gifts that I never take out of the house; they have meaning to me and I won't risk them being lost.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I like czech tools. I either use a czech tool or my pocket knife.
I live by a simple code. "keep it simple, stupid." that's it.

Mar 31, 2014
I have one Czech tool which I used to replace a lost pipe nail. I've only been smoking for a handful of months, but I think that's till good.
Great article! Who knew Russ was a great writer, too?!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Wanna guess which one gets used the most?
pipetools.jpg

Jun 4, 2014
I must have a half dozen Czech tools. At any given time I will be in possession of most of them, or none of them. I swear they are made from metal from the Roswell crash. They seem to disappear from plain sight, only to be found later in some out of the way spot.

Jul 12, 2011
I'm like Russ, lose them all the time so I don't go high end knowing that it will be gone soon :crying:
One evening I was sitting by the work bench having a good ol smoke ~ went to reach for a tamper...none around

so I reached for whatever I had sitting in front of me at the time on the bench and this how Nuts-N-Bolts

Tampers where born :rofl:
Simple nuts and bolts with use of electrical tape styles & colors to make the handles...doesn't have to be fancy,

just functional.

thesmokindragon-nuts-n-bolts-tampers-1-600x536.jpg

thesmokindragon-nuts-n-bolts-cylon-tamper-590x600.jpg

luck-of-the-irish1-600x596.jpg

Now I would not mind taking one of these bad boys to some of my favorite smoking lounges 8)
-- Ming-Kahuna Designs --

image.jpg

photo-453.jpg

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Id like a Czech tools, because it just seems like you need at least one in your smoking carer but A knife and a carved tamper serve my tamping, scooping, scraping and cutting needs!

tumblr_n9ado3zPQR1sgnaeuo1_500.jpg

Ps those nuts and bolts tampers look awsome!

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
@ Rsuninv: I really like that pipe tool sleeve over your Bic lighter. Where did you find it?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have lots of tampers that I have made. I often use the ones that others have gifted me. At the pipe show, I bring a nice one and a check tamper.
What do I usually use in my garage? An oak one that I cut off the lathe before I remembered to put finish on it.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
1. The tool I find most useful is my reamer with the hand bit. The hand bit has a small hole in the tip through which a pipe cleaner can be threaded.
2. Another essential tool is a pocket knife with an extra narrow "blade" for scraping out the gunk from the shank of estates I'm cleaning up. The floor of the mortise can get very full and this little blade does the trick/
3. And then I use a pair of pliers and the flame of the gas stove for removing obstinate stingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.