Does The Newest Version of Royal Yacht Age Well?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I like RY just fine fresh and was wondering if it ages well. I may stash away a few tins.

What has been your experience?

Thanks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As Cosmic said, it's hard to tell because the "new" version has only been around for a few years. But, given the ingredients, most likely it does. I'll get back to you in another five or so.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Cosmic your right that made no sense on my part. :oops:

I am not sure how long the newest blender has been used maybe a couple of years?

Just curious how it seemed to age with even a year or so wait.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The bigger question is whether I will ever manage to cellar any, since I keep smoking it all.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I've heard people complain the casing or flavoring is strong. Does this effect aging potential?

The topping isn't as strong as the African dark Virginias are naturally. The topping may subside after 10+ years, but it isn't neccesarily strong in flavor, just very unique. Dark Virginias are just not what people used to flue cured Virginia Gold strain are ised to. The majority of Virginias in the mainstream Virginia based blends are all from Virginia Gold seed stock. The Dark Virginias are Virginias, but they are cery strongly flavored and pack more nocotine than most burleys. Aging mellows these out and most likely will meld the topping into the natural flavor.
My bet is that those that dislike RY really just have issue with the natural bold flavor of the Virginia. The topping itself is very "*similar" to University Flake and Wallace Flake, but the leaf in those is a neautral burley, which is probably why less people dislike those as mich as RY.
*Note, similar but not exactly the same.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Dark Virginias are just not what people used to flue cured Virginia Gold strain are ised to.
I think this is a big factor in people disliking RY in general. It's a rich dark taste, almost oily, and it's a bit much at first, or at least it was for me. Then a light shone from the heavens and I realized how truly excellent this blend is.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I bought a 5 sleeve and it's from 2011 I think, so it's got about 5 years on them, still haven't cracked one. I will soon and let you know.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
RY is good stuff. Who cares how it ages. A tin shouldn't be neglected for that long anyway.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Make that 2007. Just opened and taking it to pipe club tonight. Definitely aged crystalline goodness by the eye test:

20160114_171035.jpg

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I can attest "yes"! Last month somebody brought a 5 year old tin to the Seattle Pipe Club. Most excellent!
If you like Royal Yacht, you'll love it.
If you don't like Royal Yacht, you skipped this thread anyway, so it doesn't matter how it ages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope RY improves with time, since I've had my unopened tin for maybe two years. I do pretty well with strong blends, but not always with aromatics, so that may be the "tell." For some reason aromatics bite, whereas even full strength non-aros don't usually bother me, nic or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.