Does The Newest Version of Royal Yacht Age Well?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Probably the sugar.
If the topping seems too much, leave the tin loosely closed for a few days. It evaporates.

Ahhh, ambrosia of deep tobacco goodness when new, and promices of even better are unfathomable. Great to hear! And, laughing at myself for my stupid responce in the beginning. I was under the impression that it was very very new in this reincarnation. Man, time passes fast. Heck to me, cellphones are still too new to tell if they'll last beyond a whim, ha ha.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I had a single jar I kept going for several years... it seemed to get better as it aged. The older it got, the more I wanted to disappear my enemies into a gulag tho.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I try to get two years age on anything before I smoke it, but have a hard time doing it with RY. I just run low no matter how much I buy, and have to smoke young stuff. I can say, though, that I smoked some old tins I had in 2007 when the new came out, and liked the new better. I don't know if it was change in formula with the new manufacturer, or if I didn't like the way it aged that much.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've had some aging for 2 years, I love the stuff and have not smoked it in about two years, I hope my taste hasn't changed. There are just so many blends that I've been smoking on. Damn I gotta crack one of those RY tins in the spring,

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I smoked my first bowl of it last night. Not the best conditions, not in my best pipe and probably my 5th pipe of the night, so it wasn't anything to write home about. Considering the circumstances I have to give it a few more tries before a verdict is attained.
The first 5 people that have already commented on this thread that PM me I'll send a bowls worth(5 grams) to. Lawmax, PM me and I'll send some over as well.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The "NEW" Orlik version of Royal Yacht actually hit the shelves in late 2005. Hard to believe the new version is now about 10-years old. so, its had plenty of time to age. It's still a strong tobacco. Three years ago we used Royal Yacht as our competition blend for my club's pipe smoking contest. The guy who finished 3rd threw up and the winner said he was dizzy almost the entire hour he kept his pipe lit. A couple of other contestants spit the bit mid-stream saying they couldn't handle the nicotine. Since I was the one who chose the blend for the competition, I was almost kicked out of the club. :cry:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had a 5-pack of RY sitting in the cupboard for about a year because I lost my taste for the stuff. Opened one up a couple weeks ago and liked it. No idea if the tobacco aged or my taste for it returned. It does seem more natural though, hardly any taste of casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.