PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
I'm a new pipe smoker (and smoker in general - I skipped cigarettes and cigars). Yesterday, I was smoking some Royal Yacht outside while it was 32F. While I know RY is an aromatic, and I'm not really supposed to taste anything...my experience with the tobacco was vastly different than what I'd read in the reviews. I'm willing to admit that I have an uncultured palette as far as tobacco goes - but I was wondering, does cold air temperature have any effect on the way pipe tobacco tastes or smells?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bowie and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Well, Royal Yacht is kinda “special” anyway, one of those that’s so different to everybody. But to answer your question, in my humble opinion yes. I know for a fact humidity does affect flavor. If you hydrate for example Doblne D’ Oro, the flavor goes away. Can’t say if it’s the temp or humidity change that comes with the cold fronts this time of year

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
For me, temperature and humidity changes the experience. For instance, I cannot smoke English blends (Latakia) in the summertime here in Florida...but in the wintertime, Latakia taste appropriate. In the summertime, I gravitate towards Virginia blends and burley blends with aromatics mixed in.

Reactions: Corto Waltese

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Everything effects the senses. Though outside temp also in my opinion effects the smoke too. I noticed certain pipes seem to do this more then others. The thinner the stem it seems the more temp effects taste. Could be in my head to though. Oh I only have noticed this in extreme temps, like I am freezing my butt off or if it's sweating off, and it's also a mild effect.

Reactions: Corto Waltese

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think the ambient temperature, indoors or outdoors, affects the smoke that the ember is putting out, since the ember is burning well above that whether it's cold or hot. What changes for certain is your sensory equipment. In cold, your nose isn't going to register much smell, and if you are breathing in cold air, your tongue is not going to be as sensitive to flavor. Likewise, heat will change your senses of taste and smell too. When traveling, I've gone outside to smoke my pipe, where it may have been cold, hot, or humid. The experience can be pleasing up to a point, but the actual enjoyment of the tobacco is usually more muted.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.