PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
As you know from another thread I am on the search for my first briar. I think I prefer a straight stem and acrylic. Probably a billiard or apple shape. I think I lean towards a smooth finish, but am starting to take a liking to the rustic look as well. Choices, choices, choices!
The big question I have for you pipers out there is do you think the size of the bowl matters outside of looks? Is there a size that you generally think lends well to smoking, for example something like an aromatic like 1-Q, or a burley like CH or PA?
Or is it just down to looks and technique is all that matters? Does Size Matter? :)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
A medium size Billiard shape can handle any blend. I prefer the rusticated finish because it doesn't get hot like a smooth finish and it feels good in the hand.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any pipe will do. If you like the pipe and have good packing and cadence, you'll find magic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You will develop your own needs with pipes. Starting out with a medium size traditional shape is a good idea, like the billiard or apple you visualize. As important as size itself is weight, since size is one determinant of weight, which has some bearing on the comfort against your teeth and the likelihood that you will clench (hold the pipe in your teeth as you move around), if you want to do that or not. We have at least one member who mostly smokes extra large pipes, and others with preferences for medium or small. A medium or small pipe can give extended smoking with flake/coin/plug/rope cuts. But if you want really extended smokes, you may want to own one or more extra large pipes, and then pack them with flake. Start out middle sized and see how that goes. Eventually, if you keep piping and buy more pipes, you will likely find good uses for at least a few large pipes, a few small pipes, and mostly mid-size (which include a range of larger and small medium sizes). This sounds a little goofy, but I think you will find some truth here. A full bent or extra full bent, like an Oom-Paul/Hungarian shape, reduces the leverage against your teeth so a fairly large pipe can feel low weight; you get most of the same advantage with most full bent pipes. Start out with a medium size pipe; straight is fine, easy to clean. Go from there.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@ray47 - What would you term as 'medium'? Sorry, noob question!

This site may answer some questions for you:
https://thepipeguys.com/smoking-pipe-shapes-guide/
A bowl around 1.5 to 2 inches in height in my opinion would be a medium.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am happy to have most sizes, but my really large ones don't get smoked that often. So I am a "medium" pipe smoker most of the time.
Size is in the eye of the beholder to some degree.
Enjoy!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I am a clench and puff smoker, so size does matter. If a pipe is over 2 Oz. then it doesn't usually make it into my rotation. If you like to hand hold your pipe or set it down frequently, then size won't make a difference. As many have pointed out, a good quality medium billiard is a great place to start. Enjoy.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
You’re getting good advice! I would say a medium size pipe for me is a chamber in the 0.75 to 0.78” diameter range x a depth of 1.4 or 1.5” deep. I also like straight pipes like you’re considering. If you anticipate working on a laptop or something where you’ll need your hands a bent will generally clinch easier.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've become pretty selective in size,mostly from a comfort level. I found that pipes weighing over 60 grams don't get used as often.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I generally smoke pipes that are around 5.5 inches long, bowl height of 2.0, bowl depth of 1.5 and inside bowl width of .75-.82. Weights are 40-55 grams. I would go for a straight Billiard or Apple to start.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the analogy of a bowl's diameter being likened to a throttle. Fast burning cuts like shag probably smoke better in a smaller diameter pipe, and vice versa. The difference is not restricted only to the tobacco cut. Some blends produce better flavor when a larger area of the tobacco "plug" is burning. Some full bodied blends that engender palate fatigue can be tamed by a smaller chamber diameter.
Cigar smokers probably have a more refined sense of this because they encounter choices in ring size, length and shape too.
Chamber geometry is another issue altogether!
Wall thickness is something to consider also. So many variables to play with! Jump in and have some fun. :puffy:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In my opinion you can't go wrong with a nice wide pot shape with reasonably thick walls. They are very forgiving in my experience and I found them much easier to smoke when first starting out, particularly with flakes and plugs which take some experimenting to figure out your preferred packing methods. Savinelli's 122 shape is an excellent option and can be found in both smooth and rusticated finishes for under $100.
Another option would be Peterson's 606 shape if you like a more traditional look and a straighter stem. It is not quite as wide, but also available in many finishes at a reasonable price (some as low as $70 new) and a fine smoker. My irish harp 606 is one of my favorite pipes. I do prefer the Savs overall though. Both shapes are plenty light to clench if that ends up being the way you smoke. Both will also have vulcanite stems though, but that shouldn't turn you away.
If the price is offputting for either check their estates, you may find something cheaper and lightly used (aka already broken in).
Outside of that, smokingpipes.com pipefinder tool can help you narrow down your preferences and sort by price, shape, finish, length, weight, chamber size, maker, and more. It's the little pipe shaped icon by the search box, then use the filters on the left. Super handy tool for researching shapes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly, 1.40 ounces is about right for me mostly. If I'm crazy about a pipe I'll go as high as 1.60, but I'd think about it longer. I have some heavier ones given as gifts, but I don't smoke them as often, beautiful as they are.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
A huge thanks for the pipes magazine community for all the advice. Very, very helpful... particularly because I don't know that many pipe smokers and our nearest true pipe shop is a couple hours drive away.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
With the headline "Does Size Matter" I expected this to go off the rails quickly. I applaud the fact that it didn't.
I, too, have pipes of all sizes and the mid-range size get smoked more often than the large or small bowls.

In my early explorations of Virginias, I was better able to pulls and recognize flavors when I smoked them in a narrow diameter bowl. But, as I have progressed with my smoking, I enjoy them more in larger pipes. But, the taste is different. But, when I try a new Virginia, or sample one of my own grown crops to get an idea of what I have, I will first smoke them in a narrow bowl.

Wider pipes just give me a cooler smoke with more body to the flavor. Narrow pipes are "brighter" in flavor making pulling out delicate nuances of taste from the smoke. It is similar to ring sizes on cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.