PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I noticed many times that the aroma of Latakia is most prominent upon lighting a fresh packed bowl and that some Lat heavy blends tend to get less tasty while smoking. That phenomenon seems to be weakest, if I pause some time from smoking english mixtures. I've even experienced blends becoming almost tasteless towards the end of a bowl. Something I do not observe with VA based tobaccoes. In fact, the sense of smell (which is also responsible of taste) has the property to get accustomed to certain aromatic molecules and blend out the smell a phenomenon that physiologists call tachyphylaxia or olphactory fatigue. It's something that those who wear cologne may well know (the fact that you can get anosmic to the cologne you wear with the risk to put to much of it which will harass people around you who are not blind to it).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think you're on to something. It affects me during smoking, but if I attempt to taste more deeply, I can get taste while smoking back; after smoking, at times, I notice this, affecting the next bowl or food. This lasts at times for 8 hours and is rather like the dimming of my palate after smoking a cigar.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
When I smoked my first English blend--I think it was Frogmorton--I was stunned. "What is that fragrant and delicious woodsy-ness, that reminds me so much of my incense-swinging altar boy days!?"
The second time I smoked, and every time after, I'm left wondering where that potency went. The flavors are there, but they're much, much more subtle. Rather disappointing.
Maybe I need to track down some Northwoods?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I can't speak to the fatigue issue since it's been so long since I smoked a Latakia blend.

But I never fully appreciated the delicacy and nuance of Virginias until I quit Latakia.

So, I believe that Latakia blows-out one's taste buds -- or whatever it is that senses flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, having a variety of blends in rotation, and having different kinds of blends, freshens the whole taste/smell experience. I have a few old standbys, but I like to keep things in rotation.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I don't quite get palate fatigue, but if there is much Latakia in a blend, it is the dominant note. In an English, Latakia is always the clarion note. If the Orientals are strong I will get some of their taste coming through, but I can never pick out the Virginia components, other than a sweetness with the smoke, and a different mouthfeel than when I have smoked latakia straight. If the Virginias are dark, grassy, red, purple, I could not tell you. There are some where this is not the case, but the latakia is middling in them, like Presbyterian, LEO or McConnell Oriental.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
hmm I smoke allot of latakia.. in fact I'm mainly an english smoker. With that said I can taste the tobacco all the way through, this is the reason Im not an Aro fan as they are overly sweet to me.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I don't know if I notice this quite to the extent you describe, but I certainly taste "less" of any tobacco I smoke too regularly.
So, as mso said, I tend to rotate many tobaccos in and out of the lineup. In fact, I intentionally go for long periods of not smoking my favorites just to keep them fresh (taste wise).

Recently I overdosed myself on Latakia, GLP's Quiet Nights to be exact, smoking 4-5 bowls a day and within a week all my other blends started tasting like brine, their scents changes too. So yes, Latakia can seriously mess with your senses. I havent smoked Latakia based blends for almost 10 days now but the overdose effects are still there.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I had a bowl of Abington last week. The first half was delicious. Then I had to put away the pipe for an hour or so. After relighting I tasted nothing. I sucked in warm air tasting like ash. Nothing else. Quite frustrating.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Any strong flavor will do this; it's why chefs and tasters clear their palates. Try a medium red wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.