PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
georgetown-pipe-600x450.jpg

Nearly 30 years ago I bought this pipe at Georgetown Tobacco in Washington, D.C. It couldn't have cost more than $60. On one side of the shank it says, "Georgetown"; on the other, "Imported Briar." No country of origin is given. The inner rim is beveled.
I would like to know who made the pipe. I am trying to get a question to Georgetown, but its info email address doesn't work. I will try calling them.
Thanks for any insights.
It's a great smoker and a well-made pipe, by the way.
Sheldon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
House pipes come from everywhere. A shop will buy from one source for some years, then shift to another. I think there's an effort to make the house pipe enough different that they don't compete with the maker's name brand, which makes sense. Looks like it could be a good Italian or French factory pipe. I'm not seeing American pipe maker influence there, but it's not impossible.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
From the band, likely candidates would be Savinelli or Georg Jensen. Savinelli made plenty of unmarked shop pipes. Not sure whether Jensen did or not.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Definitely has an Italian look to it.

I actually know a guy who worked at Georgetown.. around 30 years ago. Its a longshot that hed be able to offer up any concrete info but if I remember when I see him, Ill ask him.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Just my thought for whatever little I know they're worth: I think mso is right -- it's absolutely Italian, & looks extremely Savinelli to me. What basic model it was in that era, I really can't say. G'town Tob was a high-vis customer for house pipes back in the day (70s/80s, possibly later too). Best bet to me would be searching for Savinelli's catalog from back then & try to match the shape/decoration to that.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
UPDATE: I spoke by phone with an employee of Georgetown Tobacco who worked there back then. He told me he consulted with someone else there about the pipe and they could not be sure which of the many houses they dealt with this one came from. Alas. I see Savinelli too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
House pipes would make a whole thread of its own. Not being a photo poster, I'm not the guy to do it, but I sometimes mention the ones I have by name. Often the retailers can't come up with the makers for particular pipes in particular years, since the sourcing changes.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
sdmuy0.jpg

About 30 years ago I bought this little bent Dublin and it looks remarkably similar. If they are as I suspect of the same manufacturer, I can tell you that it is not Italian nor is it British or French. Your pipe appears to be a rebranded Israeli Alpha with a mark V finish. Alpha pipes were originally made by the Shalom Pipe Factory in Isreal during the 1970s and 80s. The name was later sold to Mastercraft and Lane Ltd. I have 3 Alphas and all of them are good smokers and well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.