Doblone d"Oro by Savinelli (Unexpected delight)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

palictyton

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
Since this is my first post on this forum I would like to say hello to the community.

(This review will be just from the aspect of my experience, not to be formal).
When my wife and I take the day to go into town I always take advantage to stop into the local tobacco shop. I had in mind that I was going to pick up a tin of McClelland 965, but as the fates are wont to do, they seemed to have a different plan for me. So as I looked upon a disappointingly meager selection there was nothing to do but resort to making the traditional web-search just to see what had at-least a favorable review.
After breaking the seal to the tin it dawned on me very quickly that this was not going to be anything like an English or any Latakia. At first sight the cut is much more course and there were even coin-sized disks of tobacco, which in my opinion made it immediately provocative. I filled my briar up about half way and lit it up, and after the first puff... Found my brain was working overtime just trying to figure out what was going on. Certainly my first rationalization was that I might not like this at all. "I am thinking, if there was a polar opposite to an English, than this just might be it".
But here's the thing. I didn't get more than a few puffs into it before my wife said it was time to go home (which takes over an hour for us). So I pouched up the pipe and we went on our merry way. The re-light was extraordinary. It seems to only improve the further down you smoke it. Now I have to go back tell you what it was like from the beginning and why I'm writing this.
It is very grassy at first in the best possible way. It reminds me of the times when I walk through historically old buildings in the country, and the forests, streams, and meadows that often surround them. It does exactly what I want my tobacco to do, and that is to take me somewhere. But that's not all because the experience just improves as it burns down, and gets increasingly mellow and by the end it is very minty, without dottle, and best of all it burns very cool. It is very light, and easy to smoke without head-effects or tongue burn. It is important to know that there is absolutely no sweetness to this at all - it doesn't need to be. I smoke this on an empty stomach while doing yard work around the house and for breakfast.
If you are looking for something that is light but will tantalize your senses I think that that this would be a great smoke to fit into your repertoire. It is a regular in mine. I'm also writing this because I have not found very many reviews of this tobacco and I think that it defiantly deserves its due.
If anyone would like to comment on this review I would certainly appreciate to know what others are thinking.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Interesting--sounds like a Virginia/Perique that ventures off the beaten path!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree heartily. For the coin-cut Virginia-and-Perique-or-Dark-Fired category, the Savinelli is an excellent entry. I wish it had a bit of the subdued sweetness of Three Nuns instead of its immediately evident sweetness, and maybe a bit of Burley for balance as occurs with Motzek Strang, but otherwise, this is a near-perfect tobacco.
It also mixes well with Royal Yacht, but what doesn't?

winepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2016
I've been smoking this rolled blend of burley, dark-fired Kenyan, Virginia, and perique for a few weeks. My tin has shine age in it. I find it very hearty with the burley and dark-fired Kenyan, with the Virginia and perique in the background. I like it when I want something heavier than the Virginia-perique blends I usually favor.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Ok, you have inspired me to try this blend. I have had a tin in my cellar for probably two years now that I purchased from my local bm, yes I said bm, not b&m as this shop is more akin to a bowel movement than a brick and mortar store. I stopped in one Friday after work to have a cigar and libations with the guys as I did nearly every Friday for several years and having recently picked up the pipe again I decided to purchase the tin of Doblone de Oro as I paid for my cigars. The owner paused a bit as he rung up my purchase since he does not mark his meager pipe tobacco selection with the price and mentioned that this is a 100g tin and the others are only 50g. My total seemed a bit high, but after a few ours of bourbon I did not think much of it. When I arrived home, I began to ponder this and some simple math in my head priced the tin at nearly $40! I then put some Google fu to it and saw that this tin can be had for about $20 online. Seeing this, I expect to pay a little more at a b&m bit not double. The owner/operator of the shop is a bit lazy when it comes to actual work as you have to wake him up to pay or disturb him from playing games on his iPod, yes I said iPod and not iPad rather than knowing the actual prices of his merch. This and other negative experiences with the owner have caused me to just buy the lions share of my cigars and pipe tobacco online where I do it have to deal with people like that. He often asks a few of my friends who still patronize his shop on ocassio a bout me and where I get my tobacco and will or contact me to ask these questions as he has my phone number and and has contacted me many times in the past. Most of my friends have graduated from this establishment as well knowing this guy all too well.
Sorry for the rant, but I will burn my first bowl of Doblone de Oro tonight as I ponder what a jackash this guy is or maybe just forget about him and his shop and have more positive thoughts.

palictyton

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
BigTex, I feel for you. Although my B&M has a very nice atmosphere it does lack severely on its stock levels of pipe tobacco. On the brighter side, I'm happily awaiting a shipment of McClelland 5110 that is supposed to come in tomorrow (which was my first love in tobaccos). It's been far too long since I've had in my cellar.
Cheers.

chrishopkins

Lurker
Feb 25, 2016
Winston Salem
I'll be honest, Savinelli tobacco blends deserve more recognition. I understand why they aren't more popular, but that is a shame. I love this blend and have wen through quite a bit of it. Glad you liked it!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I've wondered about this Sav offering. I've always bypassed their blends when shopping online but did pull the trigger on a tin of Brunello Flake at a local B&M based on tr reviews. I have to say BF is a great flake and provides a solid smoke. I think some gold coins may end up in my chest soon.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Nice. This seems like a really good blend, and it sure is fun to say the name! I like coin cuts, too.

fergis

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
I tried Doblone d' Oro for the first time today. I had purchased 2 100 Gram tins from Smoking Pipes online. I was overwhelmed by the flavor & quality of this blend & purchased 5 more of them to acquire the 3% discount they offered. I thought it was the best pipe tobacco I've ever smoked & want to have it on hand for daily use & enough to allow for aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.