PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My higher end pipes tend to become personal treasures, nothing at the fishnbanjo or peck level, but some nice ones. The less expensive pipes, once they have proven out, are valued for smoking and not worth a lot in trade, so they tend to stick around too. Shop carefully, since pipes can be a long-term purchase. Mostly, don't buy more than one at a time, and therefore probably don't buy in lots. Deliberate purchases are good, for the long term.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a pipe rack that holds 12 pipes. I think that is more than enough for me, I have 8 or so now. There are some that I am actively looking for, and I think once that magic number is reached I might be done.
Window shopping is much easier on the budget!

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I usually opt for more tobacco if anything. Pipes will stay around for hundreds of years. Tobacco, not so much.
Occasionally I pick up a Morgan Bones pipe when he gets some new shapes out, but they are only $40 and I can afford to buy 3-4 at a time. They make up the majority of my collection. I have about 18 of them in total. About 6 Petersons, 4 Moretti Pipes and 2 Savinellis.
I'm a sucker for stubby/nose warmer pipes so if I find one I really like I'll buy it.
I probably don't need anymore pipes at the moment though. I'm planning on just adding to my bones collection and preserving the rest in a nice cabinet.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'm like Crash. And I don't count my pipes anymore. I'm afraid to know how many I have. And then I start to add up the cost. Then I tell myself, just don't go there. It's therapy, I say, ya, it's a good thing...
But what I have changed is that I am willing to pay more for a better quality pipe, so that has slowed me down a bit.
Buying tobacco depends on family and friends and their travel plans. Tourist season is heating up :mrgreen:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have too few of the pipes I want, and too many of those that I don’t smoke often enough! I only have about 10 pipes, but I distinctly prefer about 5 of them. I think if I had space to display them all separately, I’d be ok with them all. I want my straight Pete’s front and center, and the rest to have their own space on the side. The oddballs (Ropp vintage, Barling, Briarworks, etc.) just feel out of place right now.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
After buying my second Moran’s Bones Pipe I’ve hit the “just right” amount of pipes. I have no desire to add anymore to my collection. If I ever do decide to add more some will have to go out. I’ve never really been a huge pipe person, I love em and I can appreciate a fine pipe but my passion lies mostly in tobacco. When I get $500 to spend I always choose tobacco over a pipe. I figure in the long run pipes will always be readily available but I worry about the availability of quality tobacco... well, I don’t really worry anymore, I’ve been stocking up for close to a decade now and I have more than enough to see me through to the other side.

Mar 29, 2016
Fewer is the way to go for me, I will never buy a pipe again and hope to lower the number of pipes I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have sometimes thought I should have started out saving up for up-market pipes and bought pipes less often. However, the counterpoint to that is that i have had a good time shopping for moderately or low priced pipes slowly and selectively, and I often take pleasure in some of the pipes I've bought in the roughly $24 to $80 range that smoke about as well as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.