PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have more than enough good smokers, but if something I run across has my name on it, I'll probably snap it up. Culling is difficult for me. I also have a lot of old golf clubs and camera gear.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I have enough pipes (I require about 35), but I want and need better pipes. I expect the process of attaining a full rotation that I'm completely satisfied with will continue until my last pipe is pried from my cold, dead hands.

Mar 1, 2014
except golf.

Isn’t the point of Golf to walk around with clubs overflowing from the cart and fanned out in a display of total dominance over your space on the course?
I will definitely agree there is some appeal in having one favorite pipe that becomes part of your persona.

Maybe that’s a bit of a fictitious idea though and all but the sharpest people would be none the wiser even if you did have a 200 pipe rotation.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have 7 or 8 pipes. I smoke 3 of them on a daily basis. The rest I get used sparingly.
I could use a couple of more big Savinellis. But I really don’t look forward to a big collection.
As it was mentioned above, I’m more interested in stockpiling tobacco. :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I spent the past year downsizing. I am down from, at one point, over 100 pipes, to 8 regular smokers and my Dad's favorite pipe which I smoke about once a year. I think 9 is my perfect number, but will end up with 11 in order to complete a 7 day set of Jones Brandies. Other than that, I am done.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Meers,I can't help myself. Briars, I have some I need to get rid of, honestly about 90% of them. I just don't smoke briar very often...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Don't we all swear off buying pipes, I did and the result was I ended up with few expensive ones and selling some others of mine with lesser value,and I'm still on the lookout for one specific English estate from a now-defunct company,but my plan for the further is to concentrate more on tobacco acquisitions,

I don't like to sell pipes. When I feel the need to remove some pipes from my universe, I just grab a hammer and a brick and set about to smashing them into briar rubble. I figure that if I don't like then, no one else should have to be cursed with them like dead albatrosses.
Ohhhh, and it feels so good to just smash them down, PoW!!! shards of wood and stems flying about in chunks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smashing pipes might have its venting benefits. Usually I don't hate the pipes I trade off or give away, but I want to trade them for something I'd prefer, or give them to a worthy cause. I sure don't donate any stinkers, but only sacrifice pipes I like but can spare, and it can be pretty satisfying. The number of pipes I own always catches up with me anyway.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I always tell myself I don't need more as I find that with how infrequently I smoke I end up just reaching for the same 2-3 pipes each time. That said, there as so many beautiful pipes out there that I find it very hard to resist picking up a new one now and again.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
That's a bold move, Cosmic. Reminiscent of the Office Space copier smash scene. I'm having that debate right now. I have a bunch of pipes ($10-20) that look good, but I truly hate. Someone else may like them fine. I have a truly beautiful old stanwell silver military mount smooth straight grain pipe. I have done everything I can to that pipe, and I swear it must be lined with unobtanium or adamantium. Two puffs of the driest tobacco I own, and that bitch gurgles like a leaky snorkel. Truly terrible. I have 3 other bulldogs that are so cool, but they taste like the straight pipe on my 2003 dodge diesel. (If you wonder how I know what they tastes like, just stand within 50' of it when I start it cold.
I want to send all of them to the guy cleaning and sending stuff to troops, but that seems wrong to send pipes I hate. I'm afraid they will curse someone else's pipe smoking future. Someone pawned them off on me. I think they need to end with me.
On a side note, I have a $10 Jeantet that I never smoked, because I got so fed up with ebay junkers. I fired that one up finally, and holy smokes it is divine! It takes the edge off those C&D Burley flakes and makes them taste like candy. Come to think of it, my only other Jeantet does them same. Better than any other pipes have (and I have some good ones). On average, my quality $10 ebay pipes have ultimately cost me $100 a piece.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Some people's view would definitely be that I have too many pipes. Those same people would probably say I have too much tobacco too and we all know that can't be true. I've tried to fight PAD many times, sometimes more successfully than my ongoing battle with TAD. If one catches my eye at a price I can't say no to though, well I guess I can always find room for just one more.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have a simple system. If there is a pipe that isn't being reached for and smoke, it will join others like it to be sold about twice per year. I've not quite reached the point where all my collection is smoked at least occasionally. Getting close however. I now have well more than I need but perhaps not as many as I want. Can't deny PAD, just trying to be very disciplined about what I decide to purchase. Doesn't matter if I see something I kind of like and it is a great buy on eBay for example. If I don't see myself being excited about adding it to the smoking rotation, I let it go.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I swore in the first five years of pipe smoking/collecting that I didn't need more than 50 pipes. Well, that crept up over 100 in the past two years. So, you've probably noticed that in the past year, I've done a major purge, now currently down to 60. In that group, it would be tough to part with any more (the last ten were tough to let go!) But, the proceeds of those sales has gone to fund items on my MGB and several wristwatches, all of which get regular use. So, a win on all accounts, as I still have way more pipes than I can regularly enjoy (and take care of!) I tend to rotate through about 20 pipes, the rest only get very occasional use.
Having said that, since December, I've added three pipes to my personal collection...

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@ssjones
At least the proceeds have gone to a good home,mine has been reinvested in a few more expensive pipes.The Asteriou from you and a couple of S Bang estates

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Do You Want More Or Fewer Pipes?
Yes.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.