PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I just made this pouch today, inspired by Pinterest. I'd like to make a few different styles.
*Having trouble uploading pics from mobile, I'll try from the desktop

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
37949982684_00729da0c9_k_d.jpg

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Just a simple roll of leather, sewn into a pocket at one end.

Same for me. Made it myself, works great but doesn't look the best. I use it every time I go out somewhere. I think I'll be making a bigger one soon though.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have two leather pouches: One is a tan English rubber-lined roll-up, and the other is a slightly smaller black rubber-lined zipper-closed Peterson. I like the roll-up best, as it does a better job of keeping my tobacco fresh, and as I fill my pipe any spilled over the extended flap is caught, thereby minimizing waste. Interestingly I find that I use them only when traveling.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I found pouches to be clumsy and messy. I prefer to use a tin - recycling one for bulk blends. I have tried roll up pouches but they are good for a day or two days supply before it beings to dry out and crumple. I do most of my out of the home smoking in the car coming home from work. Tins work best for filling the pipe and storing the tobacco. I use the pouch when going someplace out of my routine.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
The vast majority of these pouches - that hold pipes, tobacco, and various accoutrements- look like....sorry to say...a woman's handbag. Not very masculine, and, you have to hold them in your hand as you walk around, like a purse. This is one of the main reason why I usually smoke my pipes only at home. I don't and won't schlep them around in these handbags.
Personally, I think I would be inclined to try a primitive, bush-craft style "Possibles Bag" for carrying around my pipe(s) and tobacco needs, but with reluctance. I'd sling it over one shoulder, so my hands can be free. Maybe some hand stitching, antler/horn closures, brass tacks/rivets, etc, might make carrying pipes around worth the trouble.
Time for me to go shopping.
Frank

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I use a plastic pouch made by Peterson. Very handy while packing and does a good job storing tobacco.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
<p>I’m grateful for this thread. I’ve been using my leather “man purse” which is ok at best, but I find myself lifting around all of my pipes and all of my tobacco. If anyone messes with me about the “man purse” I’ll ask them how many kids they have. Odds are it’s less than four so I tell them that maybe they need a girlie purse since their Nan bits haven’t been up to par

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have them. I used to use them. I used to be able to smoke in different places. Now, I pretty much smoke in/at my home or in my car. I don’t seem to have a need for a tobacco pouch any more.

Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m grateful for this thread. I’ve been using my leather “man purse” which is ok at best, but I find myself lifting around all of my pipes and all of my tobacco.
The question was about a leather pouch to directly hold tobacco, but your take is interesting, as well as your take that manliness equates to the number of children one has sired. (I could be wrong on that.)

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
II have found that smokless tobacco cans, Skoal, Cope, etc, will hold about 3/4 oz. of tobacco. They will keep the tobacco smokable for 3 or 4 days. I have also used 35mm film plastic canisters which will keep the tobacco fresh for weeks, they are kinda hard to find with everyone using digital.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
The question was about a leather pouch to directly hold tobacco, but your take is interesting, as well as your take that manliness equates to the number of children one has sired. (I could be wrong on that.)
I’ll only say that when someone tries to pick on me for my attire/accessories.... most of them are single twenty somethings living paycheck to paycheck trying to prove a point. It’s jornally in front of a small crowd & they normally have put their foot in their mouth as a result.... it’s not actually how I think but it’s a great retort.
I followed the thread to see about a better way to organize all my accessories. I like my tobacco in tins and want to put tins in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.