PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So my wife who has been making custom handkerchiefs for a few years found a WW1 British soldiers tobacco pouch online. She is making a similar pattern for me and is going to use oilcloth for the inner liner and cotton flannel or linen or sack cloth for the outer. The only departure from the real one is the possible addition of a fineline zipper for the actual pouch under the fold and a button for closure. Not sure how I feel about the button. In any case, here is the original from the soldiers kit:

2017-05-11-22-09-26-438x600.jpg

She is probably going to use a green instead of brown fabric. Also, she is making a small bag for 2 pipes and 4 of the steel tins and tools, matches, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That will be a treasure! For my druthers, I'd skip the button and the zipper. But depends on whether there'd be more than one fold, I guess.

I have a couple of cheap small leather pouches for tobacco, but I tend to just put a couple of bowls worth in plastic bags mostly, and then this is my pipe bag for when I am out for just the day.

My wife had the local saddle maker make this for me a couple of years ago. I made the silver plate with my name on it. The inside pockets are armadillo belly, from armadillos that no longer dig in my garden.

closed_zpsr9ep4hwj.jpg

open_zpsl6ykhk6p.jpg

Reactions: KORNEY

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I have a roll up from Soaring Owl and sons which I quite like and recommend. He's on etsy.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
BBQ Armadillo, Say it ain't so!
When I was 5 I had a pet Armadillo named Sam. Caught him in my moms garden. She thought he was rootin up her plantings, he was actually diggin for worms and such.
Kewl leather wrap by the way Michael. I dig the pipe with the silver leaf.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I hear ya.
My grandpa hated em. Their holes tripped up one of his horses as well as one of his mules. Bad breaks for both, had to be destroyed.
Needless to say, he'd damned near wreck his ol Dodge pickup tryin to run over when he could.
But Sam was kewl man. I'd go down to the fillin station every weekend and pick up a carton of Night Crawlers for him.
I couldn't ever get him to roll over but he'd sure try to stand up on his hid legs to get a treat.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Coincidental to this thread, today I received this as a rather pleasant gift. Posher than most of my pipes! Mike
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/spanish-high-grade-roll-up-leather-pipe-tobacco-pouch-50161-tan

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
O hell yes, I have two leather pouches, but like a few more choices so use either the tin or empty plastic container the original tobacco came in. I have tobacco pots when at home. When I go away or to the pub I have a man bag to just carry my pipes and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.