PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
How do almost none of you carry tobacco decently? I thought I was an odd duck, but some of you are complete anachronists.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Aquadoc, the ultimate pouch for your baccy has to be one of those made from a kangaroo's scrotum. Very soft and supple, perfect for the discerning pipesmoker who has impeccable tastes :puffy:
Look them up on Google, there are several sellers.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But 'roos aren't on any endangered list, are they?? So a more rarified pouch would be made of, say, dinosaur scrotum, or less rare, Eagle nut pouches....Even buffalo scroti have more caché.... just sayin'.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I agree that tuold's is a cigar case. The only cigar case I ever bought was larger in girth to accommodate my preferred size- about 6x50-52 ring gauge size. Liked the look of that type of cigar case, but it would only hold a much thinner type of cigar.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
No, no, no... Many species of Kangaroos are far exceeding the carrying capacity of the land. I am all for an organized pipe magazine forums hunt so that we can all garner manly Kangaroo pouches for our best blends. And we can sit around the camp fire, eating Roo mountain oysters while sharing a pipe or three, telling tales of our daring doos.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Being serious, one of the things I learned pretty quickly is that pouches generally are not good at preventing tobacco from drying out a little too much. For that reason I NEVER put more backy in one than I am likely to get through that day. Roll up pouches are better than zip up ones if you are concerned about this. Having said that, my main one at the moment is a button flap one branded by Falcon. It does the job. In the end people have to ask themselves what they need their pouch to do.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Didache, I think I need something to carry the little tins I found on Amazon. They are working out better than I thought they would for a day's carry of different options. I think for a trip, a polymer bag in a leather rollup might be the way to go.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"In the end people have to ask themselves what they need their pouch to do."
Quite right Mike. Thinking about it, on the very rare occasion I leave home long enough to know I could enjoy a bowl whilst out then one of the smaller square tins would do the job admirably for my simple needs.
Then of course you have those out on the road for lengthy periods of time...that is when a pouch might prove more useful.
I did buy one when I started and being mean a Yorkshireman at heart I bought a vinyl one and by all accounts vinyl ones are better than leather for moisture retention.
Regards,
Jay.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Alright @hugodrax, I'll bite.
Please enlighten us to a less archaic Tobacco Transportation and Storage Procedure.
:puffpipe:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I don't travel with tobacco, except for going to my pipe club meeting. Then I use a small square tin, originally used for tea. I might re-purpose an empty tobacco tin to carry tobacco. I brought home 40+ empty tins from the Chicago Tobacco Bowl contest.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
@Bonanza driver
A rollup pouch? Tobacco tins and boxes were what people had available hundreds of years ago.
Don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter how you carry it. I'm just surprised the modern rollup, almost completely concealed in a pocket, is relatively unpopular.
Then again, I guess it doesn't work at all for those who carry multiple mixtures.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks for the clarification hug. Sounds like we're on the same page.
Here's what I use...

It's a simple canvas rollup with two pockets inside. It has a leather strap with multiple holes, accommodating a couple of pipes, 2 or 3 ziploc baggies with tobacco, lighter, tamper and a few cleaners.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Tell me more, please.
Where did you find that? Is it as practical as it looks?
I've wanted something with a lighter pocket for a while--I hate looking through my pockets looking for my lighter.
Last--how the heck did you keep it so white?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
BonanzaDriver, I have been haunting their site for a few weeks. I did not see those. I have been salivating over their RhodeDog and Regulator pipes. To be employed again..... Will go check the pipe rolls out.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Hug & Doc,
here's the page with their TTT O'Dell Pipe Roll Bag Gen 3.
https://dagnerpipes.com/product/ttt-odell-pipe-roll-bag-gen-3/
Hug, the pic I posted was one of theirs. But, my bag is essentially that clean. It's canvas that I sprayed with a little Scotchguard type of water repellent on the outside. Works pretty good for allowing you to simply wipe most things off of the surface.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I use a rolling cigarette tobacco pouch I packed up in andora. I like it because it is lined with rubber in the interior and it is sway Leather on the outside. It also has a secret pocket with a zipper for filters.. Which is nice

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 4th Generation pouch. The roll up without snaps or magnets and it is great. I take it everywhere. Fits perfectly in my back pocket and holds cleaners, tamper, and two tobaccos(one in a baggy to keep separate.) Some of these other posts are great, but this is ideal for visiting a friend or heading to an outdoor gathering where I don't want to carry a kit around in my hand all night.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
occasionally I use this pouch, when I'm going to be away from my office for the day. It opens up into a little box.

waille-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.