PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mine was a Missouri Corn Cob Meerschaum that my girlfriend bought me as a joke about 14 years ago. Sat in a box until I decided to try it about a year and a half ago. The rest is history. I still use it occasionally when mowing the lawn. It's not the most beautiful or rare or unique pipe, but I don't think I'd part with it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yep! Got it in 1982, a briar poker made in Italy. Was told it was a Savinelli second, but I have no idea if that's true. I still smoke it on occasion, and it smokes just about as good as any of my other pipes. Well, just about... it's no Castello, or Ser Jacopo! :mrgreen:

Reactions: anotherbob

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
No. It was a Medico squat bulldog. Around '66 or '67 I was foolish enough to smoke it in a high wind (while walking home on a cold and sleeting afternoon). The ember burned right through the bottom of the bowl. I remember that moment like it took place just a few hours ago.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes. It was my dad's Williard Canadian, though it's not a good smoker. I still occasionally smoke the first pipe I bought: a 1974 Grabow Omega.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

No. It was a Big Ben full bent brandy that I bought at a Tinder Box in the mall from Alan Freeze (a classmate of mine from elementary school who loved the Beatles). I was 18 and home from college when I bought it and when I went back to school I smoked it for a couple weeks until it got clogged and my roommate sat on it and broke it. I threw it away and didn't buy another pipe until 17 years later. I decided to go back to cigarettes as soon as the pipe got broken and smoked those for the same 17 years.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, I think it is in storage somewhere. I got it at Ft. Sill, in 1971. It is a no-name, made out of copper and I won't talk about it any more... unless I find it. :lol:

Jan 8, 2013
I do. It's one of those Ukrainian pear wood pipes with dragon carved into it. Shank cracked on it and I just keep it around to keep it around.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Yes, it''s a CAO meershaum, haven't smoked it in probably 15 years but sometimes I'll come across it and remember when I bought it...pleasant memory.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Yes. My father's rarely smoked Willard. He didn't take to pipe smoking, but that pipe sat in a stand most of my life until I grabbed it a few years ago. However the first pipe I actually used. I still have it as well. A Kaywoodie Prince.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Yes, a Peterson Dublin filter #68... mind you I have only been smoking a few years now. I only have one pipe I bought that I not longer have (actually two). The first one turned into a gift for my brother and the second was a dud and was burning out after 2 gentle bowls, it got returned and replaced from the place of sale. The replacement is wonderful and has survived a lots a lot more than two bowls.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, though I must admit it is a Brylon Medico Lancer. I really didn’t know better...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Mine was a Longchamp billiard, but unfortunately I lost it in the move from Maryland to South Carolina. I do have my second pipe, a Grabow Viking with a Dublin bowl, but the bowl no longer fits the stem and I don't know why. I keep it around for nostalgic reasons.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Bought my first pipe in 1962...
It was sold to me by a guy who fixed pipes while you waited, on Maiden Lane, lower-Manhattan (Wall St. area). This pipe guy had a little, wooden shanty set up next to a parking lot. The shanty was just large enough to hold the guy and a few tools, buffing wheels, sanders, a very small lathe, etc. He hung pipes that were for sale, from strings. The interior roof was full of them, hanging there like some briar curtain, swinging when his head knocked into some of them. I saw my first pipe, hanging there, up in a corner, covered with 20 years worth of briar dust, looking as if it was embarrassed. I just had to have that gigantic, Peterson full-bent pipe! Why? Because I wanted to look like Sherlock Holmes....don't ask, I was 12 years old! So, I think I payed around $8.00 -$10.00 for that monstrosity. The pipe guy smiled, as I handed him the money, and when I showed it to my mother she said I was an idiot. I didn't care. It was so big and heavy that you couldn't possibly hold it in your teeth, and when I eventually tried to smoke it (I had to wait until I turned 16 years old), I loaded that tea-cup sized bowl with delicious smelling Cherry Blend, and puffed away. I was a man! I nearly passed out from a queasy stomach and a staggering dizziness from the massive nic hit. I think my head went into the toilet a few times. My dad laughed quietly.
Kept that pipe around until about 15 years ago, and one day, I just tossed it right into the garbage, with no regrets...and would never, ever, consider buying another Peterson....never again.
Frank

Reactions: Whittlesticks

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I still have my second pipe. A Parker Earl in the shape of a Dunhill 120. Bought it new in 1989. It has been restemmed but still sees regular use. My first pipe was an Ascorti billiard with an acrylic military stem. I don’t what became of it.

Mike S.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
No.

My first pipe was a starter-kit vauen, black with lots of fills and a really big bowl that smoked quite badly. Mainly because I didn't know what I was doing most likely...

Status
Not open for further replies.