PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Unfortunately not. It was a small, unbranded, bent billiard. Smoked the heck out of that thing for five-six years until I "upgraded". Then it got lost in one of my moves. It was a solid smoking little thing though.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Nope, I bought a few corn cobs over the years and smoked OTC blends until I inherited some of my grandpa's pipes and started buying some nice briar of my own. Have plenty of cobs but I don't know what happened to the first few I bought, probably lost in a move or something.

monkfishpete

Lurker
Oct 17, 2017
No. I had a corncob that I smoked a blend called Paul Bunyon that my brother bought through Thompson cigar catalog. I smoked that thing till it bled tar, then tossed it. I took a couple years off then bought a bent apple from Viking Classics. I still it and it's my best smoker right now but I have high hopes for my Mastro Beraldi.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yes but I never smoke it because it's a P-Lip and I now realise that I hate them. One day I will get around to having a new stem made for it.
Technically this is not my first pipe. When I was a small boy and on holiday in Turkey my cousin and I took a fancy to some small meerschaum pipes we found in a shop next to the Temple of Apollo in Didyma. There was likely a little nagging involved but we both ended up with one each and I sincerely wish I still had it. So the truthful answer is no I suppose. I did actually still have this pipe when I grew up and moved away but over the years since and during one of many moves, it has vanished, sadly.

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
First pipe was a cob that I destroyed years ago. First briar was a Kaywoodie prince that is one my main rope pipes. Just smoked it the other day and it is a decent smoker once you get used to smoking with the stinger.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
First was a Medico, long gone. I was 18. In that pipe I smoked Middleton cherry blend (if recall the brand correctly) , Sail, Sir Walter Raleigh, and marijuana. Pipe smoking is a long education, no ?

Reactions: Jef

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
No. However, I remember it clearly. Bought around 2000, a no-name bent apple made of what I think was cherry root (?) wood. Enjoyed it for a couple of months. Then a fellow pipe-smoker advised to "sweeten" it by pouring cognac inside the bowl. I knew nothing about pipes and there were almost no info on the internet. So I poured the bowlful and went travelling over weekend. By my return the pipe cracked in two neat halves.

I still have my second pipe though (churchwarden, "briar guarantee") and still use it occasionally.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Whittlesticks

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Yes, I still have it. My first real pipe I purchased in 1965 at age 14
at the most wonderful small shop on Burd Street in Nyack New York.
It was called "The Calabash"...
I was lucky that day; the older gentleman who came in only on occasion
waited on me. Seeing I was young and likely didn't have much money
(correctly so), he said "let me find you a good pipe". After checking out
a few, he pulled one off the shelf and handed it to me. I told him that
"I like this one". It's a quarter bent Charatan's second, a pot shape with
a flat bottom and the only mark - London England.
The man then scrutinized the pipe, and could not find any reason for
it to be a second. No flaws, no fills, perhaps only that it was just a bit
small for that shape. I got a great pipe for under $15.
I later learned the mysterious older man was one of the worlds foremost
tobacconists, and had worked for and consulted almost everyone
in the tobacco industry. Over the next 16 years or so, I learned a lot
from him about tobaccos every chance I got.
Sadly, the shop was closed in the early 80's. Naturally there were some
great deals on all my favorite pipes. Myself by this time being a shopkeeper
just around the corner on Main Street, purchased some of the unique
fixtures including a beautiful golden oak humidor display case with a
Corinthian style pillar holding a wooden Indian.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
No, but no great loss financially or emotionally. A straight, rusticated Dr. Grabow Lark from the corner drug store!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nope. It was a cob that was reccomended as a cheap way to try out pipe smoking. I think the pipe cost less then three dollars at that time. I hated it, and realized later that what I didn't like about it was the wide open draw. I think I gave it to a friend the moment I bought a "real" pipe which I also lost somehow. Though I still have my third pipe the Brebbia Iceberg from way back in the long ago circa 93. Since then I have kept all my pipes except for the clays which just all met with misadventure.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
No longer have it, but it was a Hilson Fantasia, green & white marbled Bakelite with a Meerschaum lined bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.