Do you smoke your pipe when you have a sore throat?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

mrmachado

Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Not inhaling of course... Since the smoke is only in the mouth I don't see a problem necessarily. Do you think there is?
Please discourse.

pappymac

Preferred Member
Feb 26, 2015
No. It's not good to smoke when you are suffering from a sore throat or sinus problem.

It just doesn't taste or smell the same.

onestrangeone

Preferred Member
Sep 18, 2015
Sometimes, sometimes not, if I’m sick and can’t taste anything then there’s not much point to it.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
If I can taste and smell it, I will. Sometimes a cold will numb all senses of taste and smell and at that point, I'll lay it off for a while.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke everyday regardless. I will French inhale a cherry blend to sooth a sore throat though.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Let the smoke slowly flow out of your mouth and inhale through your nose.
https://youtu.be/URS94h6ukmY

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Just don't make a habit of it and only do it for the sore throat. Any other time when not having a sore throat I just retrohale.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Sure, if I want a bowl, I smoke a bowl. Sometimes my physical condition precludes the desire. Inhaling or not you are still pushing oxygen out of the blood and so, retarding the healing of any ailment. And, I don't doubt that some find certain blends to be soothing.

leafsmoker

Oct 26, 2017
Indiana
I smoke if I can taste.I think I have smoked even when I could not.ha,Interesting to learn the French inhale though..

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I abstain while anything with my sinuses is off. I've been with running nose for a few weeks now and have not smoked at all.

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
I prefer not to, if it's an acute problem. Sometimes it's caused by pipe smoking itself: latakia is just inimical to my throat.
I've a sinus problem too, but since that's cronic, I don't let it get in the way of my smoking. However, I try not to retrohale; alas, I end up doing so a few times, incidentally/accidentally.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Not often. Pipe smoke constricts capillaries, the little blood vessels, and slows healing, so you could be setting yourself back. Depends on how you heal. If you're young and/or especially robust, you may be able to shrug off just about any bodily complaint, but I wouldn't push your luck. Corny, but true ... listen to your body.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
I will smoke my pipe over a dozen times a day, easy... but, as soon as my health is involved, like a cough or sore throat, I have no problem putting my pipe down. IMO, I would be pretty stupid to continue smoking through a weakness in health. But, as soon as I am felling better, it's back to burning...