PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have a couple of clay pipes that I really like. I smoke them for two reasons. First it is kind of nostalgic. I like to image the day when tobacco was brought to Elizabeth's court by Sir Walter Raleigh or a Stub like sailor walking the decks of a whaling ship. The other reason I like to smoke clay pipes is that they are great pipes to try new tobacco in and the smoke surprisingly well. They also need very little maintenance; I have had mine for 5 years and I have never cleaned it. There are some drawbacks of course, like they break easily when you drop them, but they aren't very expensive. I usually smoke mine when it's raining, it somehow seems appropriate.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
I've been interested in getting one, but never heard anyone really talk about using one. Should probably just give into the PAD and get one on next order, as I do like the look of them. Question though, I have heard that the bowl can get hot, but what about the smoke? Does it also get hot, or does the clay/length help cool it down?

Reactions: Tate

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here is a pretty thread/article from many moons ago:

Archeologists in New York
Here is a copy/paste from the string:
Yes, we are members of an old and venerable fraternity.

Thanks Bob,

I love the history that one cannot find in text books.

The day to day inconveniences, struggles, prejudices and wider realities of life in our progenitor's past.

The implication that the "Colonies" were given 'seconds' and flawed merchandise is illuminating. Makes one contemplate the worlds unconscious perceptions of our nations place in the larger world at that time.

OR, is that all they could afford?

It depends on the context of the find, the social status of the owners. The article said the fragment were found in trash. What type of trash? Was this the contents from a fireplace? If so, were they discarded from a public house (a pub or restaurant) or a home, or a place of business. How did their former owners make their living? Were they aristocrats, restauranteurs, carpenters, tinkers... thieves...... slaves? Romanticizing here: If from a pub; were these pipe smokers discussing taxation by the crown, or Suzy Rotten Crotch's ankles over on Wall street over a pint of ale or porter? Were they Dutch, or English subjects? Did they smoke their pipes by candle light or oil lantern?

Damn... I love history.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
They length and clay does help cool the smoke down, but it depends on how hot you smoke. If you are a heavy puffer, like my self, you may have to puff a little more slowly than normal and I wouldn't hold the bowel for too long. With that said I have really never had a big problem with the heat of the smoke and clays smoke as well as any other pipe I have owned. :puffy:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Thanks for the article Lawrence, I need the distraction from my homework, not that the forum isn't do a good enough job. :lol:

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Clay pipes can be a lot of fun. I've got a few very old pieces I like to smoke from occasionally. But if your mouth is already agitated, or raw in any way from having smoked a bowl too many, a clay pipe can be hell on the gums and tongue. Still, my favorite way to enjoy Stonehaven is in a clay (recommended to me by someone on some forum, somewhere) as the minerals in the material tend to impart a dry, earthy flavor to the smoke.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
It's worth a go. I tried Blockade Runner in a clay just to get a feel for what the sailors smoked so long ago. Some blends taste better to me in a clay, when I don't care for them in a briar or meer. So I keep a few clays around for a change of pace.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Here are a few places. I have one from Dawnmist and one from pipeshope, both are great.
http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_clay.php
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/claypipes.html
http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipesale.htm

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
dang sherlock that was quick i just went looking for the dawnmist thread

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/excellent-clay-pipe-from-dawnmist

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I have several clays, most of my new ones have gotten broken over the year or so since I bought them, but all my old pieces are in tact and will be my 'favourite' at some point again I am sure, just as they have been in the past.
My favourite clay piece in all cases though is the one using the old replaceable bowl style with a bamboo stem instead of a wood (usually cherry in my experience)

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Thanks for the link pawpaw, I figured there was another post somewhere. As a said before both Dawnmist and pipeshoppe make good clays. Personally I like the ornate designs of dawnmist.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Yep, I smoke a clay from time to time and was just getting one out for our pipe club meeting tomorrow. I am doing a Sherlock thing, with the 221b tobaccos, a clay, a briar, and that ever popular but erroneous Calabash. Should be fun. No clay taste, and the coating is so you lips don't stick(burn) to the pipe, it is just a glazing.