PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The thread about $1000 pipes got me thinking about a newer phenomenon, expensive "collectible" tobacco. This market seems to be growing, with any of a number of tins going for $100 to $500 each. And with the recent exit of McClelland, their tins a currently going for 3-4 times retail, and will likely go for much more than that in a decade or so. Many of you are now sitting on tins that you paid $ for and could sell for $$$. Clearly, some of you are cashing in. Are you going to smoke your $$$ tins, stare at them with angst, or sell them? A pipe you can use repeatedly. Tobacco, not so much.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
As someone who found out about McClelland's closure a few weeks too late, I have been buying tins at $$$ prices to cellar and smoke. I wish I had joined this forum a month earlier and purchased at $ or $$ prices, but c'est la vie. Pipe smoking is quite inexpensive when compared to cigars. I've smoked many $100+ cigars, but have never heard of a $100+ bowl of pipe tobacco.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have 20 pounds of McClelland tins and another five pounds of bulls. I plan on enjoying them. It’s why I stashed them away over the years! My money making money is in mutual funds and stocks.
Mike S.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Good question. I have 2 tins left of GL Pease's Renaissance Reserve which is probably the blend worth the most in my cellar. I'm probably will open a tin this fall; I love Syrian latakia so I probably won't sell the other one.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Since I bought most of my tobacco at normal prices, I don't think of it as $100 tobacco. I gave a friend a 1/2 tin of escudo that would go for about $100, but I see it as the $4.50 tin I bought in a clearance bin in 2006. I buy to enjoy it. If I worried about potential value, I'd be kicking myself for every baseball card I stuck in my spokes as a kid.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have ~3 lbs of aged tobacco that I wish I had smoked, but I was saving it for a special occasion that never came.
Uncultivated tobacco has no purpose, but its destiny is to wither in the field and to be overgrown by the coming years' foliage, while cultivated tobacco's purpose is to be smoked, especially if destined for some amount of longevity by bering tinned. You could say, then, that the longer it is held unsmoked, the further distant it is from its purpose and the more important it becomes than that tension be resolved by being smoked.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Virginias I intend to save and smoke some/sell some. Lat blends I still have that fear they will fade away. I figure I will smoke a bunch and then sell them off as they approach the 10 year mark if I can't get to them.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Smoke them. I smoke cigars as well. I don't think twice about smoking cigars from a two to three hundred dollar box I have bought. I'm looking at these high priced tins the same way. I was fortunate to stock up on some of these sought after tins when they were regular retail. That's a win for me. I don't smoke the expensive stuff everyday, but I have no problem enjoying it when the mood or occasion hits me.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I smoke some, sell some and stash some for myself.
I've spent $100-200 plus on 2 oz tins quite often. I'm far from rich but smoke what I like - regardess of price.
I'm not a big fan of McClellands and I recently cashed in and sold over 5 lbs of it on ebay. At the going rate BTW, for aged and discontinued tobacco. I decided not to post/sell it here and be accused of gouging.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My normal goal is to cellar and smoke for under $3 an ounce.
I splurged recently and bought a pile of aged GL Pease from another forum member for about $7 per ounce.
$100 tin? Get off my lawn! :crazy:
jay-roger.jpg

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I open and smoke my Wilderness and 3 Oaks Syrian, which I could probably get over $100/tin for. Money is only utility. If something is great and you can afford it, why not... dying with millions and millions of dollars is the definition of stupidity.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I smoke tobacco ranging from $10/tin, to tins worth over $100/each. As mentioned higher up in this thread, compared to cigar prices, even the expensive tins are not outrageous...especially when you consider your cost per smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have dozens of tins of McClelland's that were purchased for $10-$16, my max for any tin. All the Esotericas in my cellar were purchased for under $30/8 ounce bag. I did buy 250g of Heinrick's Curly Block for about $80, but that was a one time thing to try it. $100+ per tin or bag is far above what I am willing to pay for something to burn.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
In Australia, the cheapest 50 grams will cost is $75. (Pouch of borkum riff).

If you're a pipe smoker in Australia, if you're not willing to spend $100, you won't be smoking a pipe soon.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you're a pipe smoker in Australia, if you're not willing to spend $100, you won't be smoking a pipe soon.
That will likely be the case everywhere before much longer for those who have not cellared.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I purchased my cellar to smoke and share. It’s nice to know that the market value greatly exceeds what I paid but that was not my intention. I would buy aged tins more often if I could find them.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
New Zealand is similar to Australia price wise. A 50 gram tin costs between $100-$125, approx $70 of the cost goes to the government. 25 years ago you could buy 50 gram pouches for $10.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I don't know if I would ever pay 100$ for a tin, but if I did, it sure would be to smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.