PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
FMOTT was my "big jar" tobacco. I usually had four or five tins on hand, in addition to what was in the jar. (Jar would get near empty, I'd dump in a couple of tins. When I ran our of tins, I'd buy four or five.)
When they bowed out, I had half a jar and four tins. I'm enjoying it in the normal course. When it's gone I'll replace it with one of the scores and scores and scores of fine English tobaccos available at reasonable prices.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Nostalgia will be my main cause to smoke a $100 tobacco. Not in a near future per se. But maybe in the next 25 years or maybe 40 years ahead when I'm still breathing, old memories of mine will gather and puff away in a smoke. Seems poetic :D
But maybe in 25 or 40 years later, a tin will cost that much anyway :mrgreen:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
How much could I get for 2007 Stonehaven? Certainly 100.00 for 4 ounces would seem reasonable. I smoke it on a regular basis as I bought it to smoke, not to sell. I have some older tins that would go for over a hundred and I am saving them for when friends come over or a special occasion. I have no intention of selling any of my tobacco and could care less what it would sell for. If I sold all of my stash for a huge profit, it would not alter my lifestyle in any way.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If I feel a tobacco is worth $100+ i plunk it down. A great smoke is worth it. Cope's Escudo is a blend worth any price. Remember Levine's Law - "Tobacco will never be cheaper nor more plentiful than today".

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Do I smoke a C-note tobacco? No, period, because I wouldn't pay that much.
Now, *would* I, if someone *gave* it to me? Absolutely yes, because like Howard said in "Speed," to not do it would be to deny the tobacco its reason to exist.

Mar 29, 2016
Buy and smoke of course, needless to say that they last me a long time since I'm not a heavy pipe smoker.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Not me.The most expensive tobacco I smoke is 1792 and wouldn't pay that for it if wasn't coming fom overseas and made on such old equipment.And It is pretty easy to come buy.I can see paying high prices for stuff no longer in production.I couldn't pay those in flated prices on a tobacco labeled collectable because a blending house will not produce enough for it's loyal fan base.They found a marketing strategy that ensures every tin of a batch of there tobacco is bought.Make less and put it on the market with long intervals between releases.That I could be fine with if they made it where only smokers could buy it.Bit as it is now they have attracted eBay sellers who just wanna make a profit by buying much as they can and turning around and charging three times what they paid for it the next day.Your not paying for aged or out of production tobacco.You are paying for unavailable tobacco made that way from the person your buying from and the blending house itself.I will not support that.But that's just my opinion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not yet. But it's inevitable if I live long enough. I do have a 20 year old half pound of Penzance, probably worth a bit of coin. Haven't decided what to do with it besides probably smoking it one day.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I sat on bottles of bourbon for a long time as “investments”, but then a good friend asked me,” So if you died tomorrow - you’re ok with never trying any of those you tried forever to find?”
Though it didn’t happen immediately I did finally open and enjoy all of them.
I feel the same with tobacco. I have several tins of McClelland St James Flake from 08 in my cellar and the whole oriental line and I’ll prob smoke all of them in time. Even if they eventually are worth that $100 I’d still want to enjoy them.
Unless I get a chance to trade I for something I really want I’m fine with smoking them up.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Well Plum Pudding Special Reserve just went up a few bucks a tin so yeah at over a hundred bucks a pound, I guess I qualify.

I also have a wee bit of unobtanium in the cellar but although worth $$$ I plan on enjoying myself.

bootygrocery

Lurker
Jun 19, 2018
Im fairly new to the scene, but what was the price and quality of tobacco 10 years ago?
I would not buy a $100 tin, but if it rose in price I wouldn't sell, I would enjoy it!
But I do see certain people buying lbs and 100 tins. If one cannot smoke the entire amount in one's lifetime, It is obvious that it was purchased as a commodity in a financial system and treated as such. For this I would say If you made an entry, you should make your exit before you burn yourself :P

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
My 40 Tins of McClelland tobacco cost me 15 years ago 10.50 each. All I can say is investment now!

May 4, 2015
I would not buy a $100 tin of tobacco. If my tins became worth $100 or more I would seriously consider selling them. I've children and am not in a position to watch that much money go up in smoke. For me a cellared $100 tin is unlikely to provide 10x the enjoyment of a $10 tin anyway. I'd rather have ten $10 tins than one $100 tin.
This exactly.

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
Since I stopped smoking during 10 years and had cellared most of my numerous tins before that, I smoke almost only 10+ y.o. tobacco, notably McClelland's. So yes, I smoke $100 tobacco. But if I make a sandwich wich a $10.000 bank check that I wrote, will I really eat $10.000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.