Do you prefer large,medium or small pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
I tend to prefer medium sized pipes- The giant pipes tend to be a bit cumbersome- Here is tiny pipe made of horn I recently acquired, i'm not sure what I think of it:
110402-202000.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I prefer medium bowls. I wouldn't mind a small bowl to be able to smoke a pipe in the time an average cigarette lasts and I wouldn't mind a large bowl to every now and then spend a few hours straight of enjoying a favorite blend. But I do like my medium bowls though. They're just the right amount for me right now. I usually have myself a 45 minute to an hour or so smoke which is just perfect for me.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, if it is Briar and holds tobacco the size doesn't matter to me at least. I have various sizes for various places/events/what have you, but as a norm just grab what strikes me at the time.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I smoke my pipes according to the tobacco. Smaller bowls for high powered blends med for most and big by huge for sitting back with a book and a good English.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I like them all...I usually utilize a pipe size based on a time frame. Smaller pipes or Cafe Pipes as I like to call them for short smokes. Medium to large earlier in the day and bigger bowls for the final smoke.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I tend to lean towards medium to smaller elegant pipes. Im not a fan of large pipes because I am a clencher and I just find them too cumbersome in general. I do like small pipes for strong blends and have my eye set on a few group one to two sized pipes.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
In general I lean toward the smaller sizes, both for smoke time (I prefer to keep a smoke to under :45) and, as I tend toward clenching, for comfort & grip. Although if I had a belly like Ganesh and multiple arms, I could obviate both of these issues and start smoking logs like hobie's monstrosity as pictured. :nana:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Medium Large to Extra Large. I'm a clencher and an English/Balkan Lat lover. I tend to gravitate toward the pipes that can "hang" with me for a long....long smoke.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
The pipe in my avatar is a Stanwell bulldog. Well executed bulldog that looks great, feels great in the mouth and in the palm of the hand, and smokes like a champ. Always had good luck with Stanwell.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I prefer pipes that have a 7/8 to 1 inch wide bowl. I'm not sure if that's considered large or not. They smoke better for me.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I tend to reach for what I consider medium to large pipes 5"-6.5" long with bowl 1.75 and taller.
My taste in pipe size and style has changed and evolved over the years, which is one of the many things I enjoy about pipe smoking.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Generally, medium to large. I'm buying a chimney with a big diameter where I can fill in 4-5 flakes (Irish Flake :P ). I wonder how it will go with something like Springbank 10 y.o. 100 Proof or Glenfarclas 105, but it's definitely going to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.