Do you prefer large,medium or small pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have a variety of sizes, from small (a Medico Jet) to medium large. That huge pipe above by hobie1dog is way beyond both my taste in pipe styling and my ability to support for an hour (or three). I guess I'm sort of a traditionalist and choose a pipe, on any given day, based more on time constraints than any other factor.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I tend to prefer medium to large bowls myself. I do like to clench some when I'm driving, but most of the time, I smoke while chillin' out somewhere. I have a 6 pipe leather case that I use when I'm traveling, so whatever fits in there with a tin or two of baccy, I'm all set.

w1nd0wl1cker

Might Stick Around
Apr 4, 2011
I like my virg flakes so I grab a small-medium bowl for that. Now if I'm smoking something like a ready rub, I reach for a medium-large bowl because I find they smoke faster. So what I'm trying to say is, the type and cut make my decision for me on this one.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Usually "small 6mm" and maybe up to a "medium". It all depends on how much moolah $$ I have to spend on pipe tobacco. My quick 10 minute pipe I usually stretch to 1/2 hour. :puffy:

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I found this old post from two years ago and it caused me to ponder a bit....
I don't care for the softball size bowls and yet on the other end of the spectrum, I don't care for the tiny or very small bowl either.
I have a very small meer lined straight dublin that I rarely ever smoke. I have attempted to like it, but there is just something about its size the bugs me.
I smoke mostly flakes, broken flakes, coins, and crumble cakes and I think that for the magic of these tobaccos to really reveal themselves of all their nuances they must have enough time to develop in the bowl, and I don't think they really have opportunity to do this in small bowls. It seems that just as they begin to shine...your at the bottom of the bowl....and....dang!...your done! Therefore, I always go to my medium and medium/large bowls.
I think there is way more to the intricacies and science of tobacco flavor and aroma than simply burning tobacco leaf within a contained space; and a lot of factors are involved.
One of the things I think might possibly contribute to this is....as the top layers of tobbacco burns the heat from the upper layers is drawn down through the lower masses of unburned tobacco, basically cooking flavors and aromas from this unburned tobacco and combining these cooked out flavors and aromas with that of the burning upper layers. Thus to me it makes sense that a wider and deeper bowl will in essence create more cooking time than a small shallow bowl.

A small shallow bowl on a pipe would be kind of like turning off your wifes oven just as the sugar cookies are beginnig to smell fantastic and yet the cookie dough is not yet done.

Just my 2 cents worth. And maybe I'm all wet.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Medium most often but that is just due to cold weather and time restraints. I plan on building up my large pipe collection for summer nights by the fire pit when I have the time to enjoy it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Medium is best for the amount of time I usually have to smoke, and medium pipes come in various shapes and

wideness of bowl to accommodate different leaf and blends. However, my two or three really large pipes are

nice for settling in for a long meditative smoke, and I have just been introduced to the benefits of small pipes,

like my Group 1, for shorter smokes and stronger tobaccos. I used to think of them as novelties or toys, and

now I find mine quite useful, or for an appetizer or dessert bowl with some other blend in a larger pipe. So, if

you happened to be holiday-gifted with a pipe that isn't your usual favorite size, try it, I think you may like it.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like medium pipes. Most of mine are medium. I have a few small pipes but no large ones. It would probably take me two days to smoke a large pipe.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
My personal preference are pipes in the group 1-3 category as this Comoy Blue Riband Group 2 I am smoking to complete my Christmas Day.
10781681874_9f19c9e9b0_z.jpg

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I prefer a medium to smaller sized bowl. Gigantic pipes are too much of a time comitment for me.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Bigger the better, providing I can clench it in my teeth without breaking my jaw. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.