PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I'm really interested in your answers to these questions.
Do you plan ahead what your going to smoke? If so, do you dry your tobacco first?
For instance. If you smoke 3-4 bowls a day of different tobacco, do you know what you will be smoking, and do you dry them out first?
Do you plan ahead?
What if you want to smoke something you hadn’t planned on drying? Do you still smoke it?
The reason why I am asking is because I was thinking that if you plan ahead on what your going to smoke, I would think it dampens the excitement of pipe smoking. Our moods differ each day. If I planned on smoking tobacco “A” tomorrow morning, and I dry it out over nite, when tomorrow morning comes, I may feel like smoking tobacco “B” which is not dried.
What say you?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I primarily smoke a few different flakes and will prepare three or four bowls each. I rub the flakes out then let them dry to the desired level and pack up the pipes. This way, when I want a pipe, its ready to go. Usually I will stick with just one tobacco but sometimes will prepare a couple batches of different flakes. I prefer them on the dry side so this way I can stick a couple pipes in my bag and I am good for a day or two.
The flakes I rotate through are St. James Flake, Stonehaven, Old Dark Fired and currently University Flake. Sometimes I will sub in something else like Peterson 3 P's, Jackknife Plug, Triple Play, Dark Plug or Kingfisher (sparingly). These all take some prep and a good amount of dry time so packing the bowls early just makes it easier.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I know what the next few tins I open will be and I have a few blends drying in a couple of those wooden lidded glass jars that fit in the middle of pipe racks. Nothing exciting about filling a pipe with tobacco that is too wet to smoke well. I want my smokes to be pleasant and planning ahead helps (usually).
Mike S.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Yes. I have a drying jar that I use to prep my next smoke- Although I only smoke 3-4 bowls per week. If I change my mind I just smoke some ribbon cut that doesn't require additional drying.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Honestly, it depends greatly on where I'm going to be smoking. If I'm going to head over to the B&M, then I'll pick out one or two tobaccos that I bought there (at this point, 1-Q and one of the Froggies), pack up my two pouches and a couple of pipes, and toss the pipe bag in my backpack before I head for work on Friday. If I'm going to be smoking on the back porch, I just pick out whatever I'm feeling like smoking. For my lunchtime lunting, I pack in one of my small jars and just smoke whatever's in it until it's gone, then swap out for another one. If I'm traveling, I'll do pretty much the same as I would for a B&M trip, although I'll pack along any of my tobaccos (not just the locally acquired ones) (and ditto for the pipes).

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I try to plan it out (usually whatever I am planning on smoking tomorrow) so that I have a pipe loaded for the drive to work. Otherwise I have jars of MM965 and EMP that are standbys for a impromptu smoke.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Usually have 4 tins or so open. I do start planning when a whole tin gets low. Beyond that its whatever is closest to me usually. I do pre-load the night before my morning drive smoke. Usually something cheap for work days. Currently it is Alamo from pipes and cigars. Surprisingly good for the price. Sometimes for a long weekend or say a vacation I will plan on a special tin to enjoy during the extended smoking chances time.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I do. I sit there and look at my tobaccos and try to decide on what tobacco I want to smoke today then I will go to my pipes and decide on what pipe I will use today before I head out the door to work.

Lately I keep an aromatic in the rotation, two Virginias, a VaPer, and something strong, like ODF to end the day. And, I smoke them in that order. I may have a few other open tins, but I smoke about 8-10 bowls a day. But as far as planning out what I will have dried and ready, I leave my Vanilla Flake out all night on my bedstand to be ready for when I wake up. I will also have one packed and ready to go after the aromatic. Then, I remove a few other flakes and put them in a pouch to dry throughout the day. the pouch is just an old school wrap type that doesn't seal, so they dry plenty enough. Sometimes, I'll leave a flake in there for over a day to get good and crunchy before smoking. My last smoke of the day, I just put on a little cutting board I have and nuke in the microwave for 8 to 12 seconds and cube cut it, just nuked long enough to wake up the oils in the smoke to get better flavors.
This routine may change, has changed, but it's not as much planned as just a part of the ritual for me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I definitely plan my next few bowls, which sometimes means planning the dry time as well. However, I often change my mind at the moment of loading the pipe, but I usually have a few blends in my rotation ready to be smoked and I usually just change the order.
Tomorrow I plan on starting the day with a fat bowl of EMP, then later on I'll probably load a bowl of Obester Vanilla and finish up with a bowl of Comoy's Cask No. 7 or some Irish Flake if I'm feeling like a real treat.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@trailboss
I was thinking I should have some pipes and tobacco stashed in strategic locations for situations like the one you described.
Hope you get through the night!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Not usually, but I do find that I take a kind time to decide on most occasions.

I have close to 100 blends (in jars) available for my smoking pleasure at any given time, so it usually takes a while!

Then I have to pick a pipe!

As I have nearly 70 of those, that takes a while too, lol!

Of course, my tobacco choice has a lot of influence on which pipes I can actually choose from.

Needless to say, I'm usually standing there, just staring, for a good 5 minutes at least.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I don't get to smoke very often (once or twice a week) so I have lots of time to think about what tobacco I want to smoke next. So I do plan out what my next smoke will be based on how long my window is (flakes are a slower smoke, so they require more time available) and if I have a tobacco that I haven't tried yet.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I make my decision when I decide to fire up, not in advance. Hmmmm......I think I'll fire up a bowl. What do I have open?
Dave

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I dry out 4-5 bowls of any given tobacco at a time, put the dried tobacco in a baggie, and keep the baggie in the tin with the fresh stuff. The baggie keeps the dried tobacco from reabsorbing too much moisture. The old-fashioned, non-ziploc sandwich baggies are best - a zip closure is too bulky to pack back into the tin well.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My smoking day went exactly I as had planned the night before:
Early Morning Pipe in a Chacom Canadian
Obester Vanilla in a Bulldog marked St. Regis
Irish Flake in a Peterson Sterling Silver 80s Bent Bulldog
Every bowl was a near perfect smoke!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I know what I plan to smoke each day,although I occasionally change my mind. I don't dry out tobacco. At all.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Yes I plan ahead. I generally smoke my pipe on my says of. It is more like a luxury for me the a day to day thing. So I would actually pick it out several days in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.