PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My phobia is when I have to have surgery for kidney stones and they leave a stent in me for a week or 2. It is like pissing glass every time I have to pee. It is mid evil torture at it's finest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many phobias have a grounding in sensible aversions. Like, after a certain age, probably no one should get on a ladder. An alertness to snakes and spiders are sound reactions, as long as you don't come apart. And so on.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Glitter. My mom used to shut us up in a dark closet when we misbehaved.

One time, when I was 4, I got shut in the closet. As it turned out, it was locked; and the family went off for the weekend and forgot me. It was so dark, I shoved and climbed around trying to find a way out. Boxes fell around me, clothes surrounded me, something was gooey all over me and sticky. Apparently a heavy vase, or urn, fell and busted the doorknob off. I was out. The goo was Elmer’s glue from my older brother’s school cigar box, and when I looked in the mirror I was covered head to foot in multi-colored glitter and some kind of chunky dust.

I was just about to get into the bathtub when my family got home. My parents just looked at me with a look of absolute horror. Mom apologized and made me a coconut cream pie.

To this day I shudder at the Hallmark card aisle, and still don’t know where Uncle Fred was buried.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
To clarify my wheelchair grips phobia. Wheelchairs don't bother me. It's the plastic grips, especially if they're white...the kind we had on our bicycle handlebars in the 60's.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm afraid of lots of things but I don't consider them phobias.
For example, I used to be afraid of heights but I now do rappelling and limited rock climbing. I'm not so much afraid of heights as I am afraid of falling from heights which is a perfectly normal thing to be afraid of and I can overcome that with self confidence in my rappelling/climbing skills.
I realized it wasn't an issue of heights when I realized I wasn't afraid of seeing the ground so far below from an airplane or from a high building because I was always confident the plane wouldn't simply "fall" out of the sky or the building collapse. So what was the reason for my fear on a cliff? My self confidence in my ability to not suddenly "fly" off the ground. It did take me a while to get passed my vertigo but once I did that I never looked back.
See. All perfectly rational and not a phobia, just a perfectly normal fear.
My perfectly irrational fear that is bonafide I can at least make fun of myself for:
shark-in-pool.jpg

Oddly enough I've done some snorkeling around a shark (nurse shark, around 8') and was okay with it. In a swimming pool where it's just not possible? That's when I have a problem. Especially at night or when I'm by myself. And I only have a 9x18 54" deep above ground pool... I know it's stupid, impossible, and irrational but I can't shake it.
I've read it could be related to a fear of the dark but more likely a lack of confidence in my ability to sense and respond to potential dangers that might be present outside of my "sphere of awareness".

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My phobia is the enema bag. I grew up in the 50’s with a mother who had a fondness for giving enemas.
As a Gastroenterologist, I can concur that many people have this experience and this phobia. It was a very common practice in the 1950's/1960's and many Mothers completely ruined their kids by forcing this odd ritual on them. I hear this concern very frequently.
Now back to pipe smoking and pipe discussion.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As a Gastroenterologist, I can concur that many people have this experience and this phobia. It was a very common practice in the 1950's/1960's and many Mothers completely ruined their kids by forcing this odd ritual on them. I hear this concern very frequently.
That is interesting...and disturbing. I learn something every day on here.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A strange conjuntion of two threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SDztycKwY

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, I do have one bona fide phobia.
In my dreams, I am sometimes terrified by heights. I'll be on a pitched roof, or climbing a ladder and I'll just be paralyzed with fear.
In real life, though, no such fear exists. I climb trees, I've scaled bridges, hung out of helicopters and done free rope rock climbing. I've roofed houses, walked across railroad trestles and stood on my tippy toes. No problem. Unless I'm asleep.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Heights, Light, and small confined spaces.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Would be heights.

Just seing those russian daredevils freeclimbing industry buildings on youtube is enough to feel chills.
Also dislike clowns.

Wouldn't say they scare me but they get to me for some reason.

Hiding behind a mask, no that's just not cool.

I mean, why are they hiding?

I can understand why they make horror movies about people behind masks.
Old pictures of Bozo The Clown - that thing is creepy. For real.
Then a painted on-smile, come on.
I'm totally anti-clown.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I had a dream last night. I dreamt that my wedding was set at some historical site and coincidentically there was a state visit at the same time. The visitors were Donald Trump and Barack Obama and they crashed the wedding, demanding all the attention and I had to sit and talk to the both of them all night, neglecting both the bride and all the other guests. It might have triggered a phobia right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.